Does anyone make a good algae wafer?

The place for all discussions not loach-related concerning freshwater fish keeping. All our members keep other fish so you may benefit from their experience.

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

Jim Powers

Re: Does anyone make a good algae wafer?

Post by Jim Powers » Sun Apr 01, 2012 10:07 am

I actually know this guy. He had me do my loach presentation at fish clubs he is involved with in Madison and Milwaukee, Wisconsin a couple of years ago. I stayed at his house and checked out his great fish room.

starsplitter7

Post by starsplitter7 » Mon Apr 02, 2012 3:01 pm

I think the food came out at the beginning of this year, so it is pretty new.

If you look at the bottom of Ted's website, you will see a series of videos he posted in relation to the food. They are super helpful. Like putting the food in icecube trays with a string to suspend it, grating it for larger fish and smearing it for grazers.

I work at a co-op store that services the ornamental fish farm industry, and we may start carrying it when the farmers let us know what they think of the food. I tried the scavenger diet, and all my fish love it. There's an aufwuchs, a scavenger, a community and a carnivore. All similar diets with the protein adjusted. I like that it doesn't spoil the tanks. I had a gentleman tell me that he uses it with baby angels and he only needs to feed twice a day and he reduced his losses for new borns. I am using it with sword and Bristlenose fry, and they devour every chunk that goes into the tank. The BN are growing super fast.

I am sorry to get your thread off track, Jim, but I think this is a pretty cool diet to supplement wafers.

NancyD

Post by NancyD » Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:58 pm

I use Repashy Soilent Green for my new gastromyzon & stiphodon gobies, the auf wuchs flavor. They were already eating it for the person I got the fish from. I also have some algae/vegan that was part of the testing but I haven't seen it for sale, maybe check the Repashy website. I bought the shrimp gel mix too. You can keep the mixed up gel in the fridge for several days or freeze it. I don't have the knack of getting the right consistancy to stick to wood or rocks well, you can add more or less water. My usual way is to put it in small shallow dishes so the fish can graze. I make enough for a couple days. It seems like a miracle for fussy fish with special needs.

I got mine from inverts by msjinkzd, kensfish sells it too. It's funny, I just looked at the website I didn't see any of the fish foods just herps.

Jim Powers

Post by Jim Powers » Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:02 am

I am sorry to get your thread off track, Jim, but I think this is a pretty cool diet to supplement wafers.
That's fine. I'm always looking for a new food. I may get in touch with Ted about this.
Thanks for the info! :D

Jules

Post by Jules » Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:54 am

I was going to suggest New Era (not sure if it's available in the US ?) but after looking on their website, the ingredient list doesn't give much away !!

:?

kcartwright856

Post by kcartwright856 » Sat Apr 14, 2012 12:05 am

I use Repashy Soilent Green as well.

Ingredients:

Chlorella Algae, Spirulina Algae, Whole Krill Meal, Whole Squid Meal, Whole Sardine Meal, Alfalfa Leaf Meal, Whole Anchovy Meal, Germinated Brown Rice Protein Concentrate, Pea Protein Isolate, Dried Brewers Yeast, Stabilized Rice Bran, Dried Kelp, Carrageenan Algae, Konjac, Carob Bean Gum, Schizochytrium Algae, Calcium Carbonate, Dicalcium Phosphate, Taurine, Potassium Citrate, Calcium Propionate, Phaffia Rhodozyma Yeast, Paprika Extract, Calendula Flower Powder, Marigold Flower Extract, Rose Hips Powder, Turmeric Root Powder, Malic Acid, Sodium Chloride, Canthaxanthin, Potassium Sorbate, Magnesium Gluconate, Lecithin, Rosemary Extract and Mixed Tocopherols (as preservatives), Vitamins (Vitamin A Supplement, Vitamin D Supplement, Choline Chloride, Ascorbic Acid, Vitamin E Supplement, Niacin, Beta Carotene, Pantothenic Acid, Riboflavin, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Thiamine Mononitrate, Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex, Folic Acid, Biotin, Vitamin B-12 Supplement).

Guaranteed Analysis: Crude Protein min. 45%, Crude Fat min. 6%, Crude Fat max. 8%, Crude Fiber max. 8%, Moisture max. 8%, Ash max. 12%, Calcium min. 1.5%, Calcium max. 2%, Phosphorus min. 0.75%.Guaranteed Analysis: Crude Protein min. 45%, Crude Fat min. 6%, Crude Fat max. 8%, Crude Fiber max. 8%, Moisture max. 8%, Ash max. 12%, Calcium min. 1.5%, Calcium max. 2%, Phosphorus min. 0.75%.

Great, great stuff. No waste, keeps whatever form you choose to serve it in very well, and you don't have to worry about those cereal fillers in most wafers, or all the gelatin in homemade foods.

starsplitter7

Post by starsplitter7 » Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:42 am

I used the Scavenger diet from Repashy, and I am astounded at the results. I had 8 albino Bristlenose fry that were about 1/2" to a little bigger about 3 weeks ago. I figured the smallest ones wouldn't survive. They were a wispy 1/2 inch, just hatched. Now they are all 1"+, fat, and a golden orange. All 8 sre doing well -- I can't tell them apart -- the runts are as big as the others. I usually lose about half of my fry. These are all beautiful. Hikari algae wafer and cargill color enhancing food mixed in.

In the same container I have 6 blue sword fry. I have tried to find blue swords online, but can't find them, so I have no idea what they should look like. A local farm provided the fry for my club's grow-out contest which runs from March to September. The fry we received were large at 3/4-1'. I have had them now about 5 weeks, and they have doubled in size, the males have 1/2" swords. I think I have two males and 4 females, but I am not sure. I have a couple small ones. The large female has a well-developed egg spot. For our grow out contest we're supposed to bring in a pair and if there are fry, it is a bonus. :) Mine are shimmery blue, but I am concerned because one male and female are turning a coral color between the pectoral fin and tail. I think it is the color enhancers between the Repashy and cargill food. We'll see.

They have been in a large critter keeper with an airstone, and I think they need to graduate to a real tank with real filters.

kcartwright856

Post by kcartwright856 » Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:09 pm

I feed Soilent Green for my otocinclus and their fry, but I'm getting a pack of the Shrimp Souffle (scavenger blend) for my kuhlis to try.

starsplitter7

Post by starsplitter7 » Fri Apr 20, 2012 8:51 pm

You have Oto fry? That is really cool. Could you post pictures of them in another thread and give info on how you bred them?

I would like to try the aufwuchs with my hillstreams.

kcartwright856

Post by kcartwright856 » Sat Apr 21, 2012 12:31 am

Your hillstreams will love some SG poured over a rock!

As for the otocinclus spawns, I've been meaning to write something up. I have some photos and video, as well as all of my pertinent tank information. I know that it can be a difficult spawn to achieve, so every little bit of information helps.

Jules

Post by Jules » Sat Apr 21, 2012 9:53 am

Don't suppose anyone knows a supplier of the Repashy food within the UK ? Have looked on E Bay and Amazon but whilst the Gecko and Lizard food is popular, can't seem to find the Fish version anywhere other than shipping it in.

:roll:

kcartwright856

Post by kcartwright856 » Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:17 pm

Jules wrote:Don't suppose anyone knows a supplier of the Repashy food within the UK ? Have looked on E Bay and Amazon but whilst the Gecko and Lizard food is popular, can't seem to find the Fish version anywhere other than shipping it in.

:roll:
I have no idea...

The Repashy powder has an excellent shelf life when kept in its pouch, and great when prepared in the freezer, so it would certainly be worth the extra $ to ship it in, if possible!

starsplitter7

Post by starsplitter7 » Wed Apr 25, 2012 4:41 pm

If there is a local vendor providing the lizard food, I would ask them to bring in the fish diets with their next shipments.

I am trying out the community diet right now,and the loaches like it better. The Bristlenoses like it all. I have a new brood working away at it right now.

When I made the community diet I added baby brine shrimp and blood worms to the mix. This way my eels have something to look forward to.