Sump

The place for all discussions not loach-related concerning freshwater fish keeping. All our members keep other fish so you may benefit from their experience.

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

Ashleigh

Sump

Post by Ashleigh » Wed Feb 24, 2010 6:22 am

So Im getting my finger out to start work on clown setup with sump again. Finally moving everything to N ireland from Wales at the end of the month so let the hard work begin :)

Im sure a few of you remember the old marine setup I was going to convert for the clown loaches. Ive started to order equipment and such for the tank and now moving onto the sump.

If possible could people share their ideas and thoughts on what way they would set this up, media they would use etc. All equipment will be put in this aswell so need to keep that in mind!

Also opinions on sump pumps etc would be welcome :)

Sump is 42 x 18 x 18 and is pictured below

Ashleigh

wasserscheu

Post by wasserscheu » Wed Feb 24, 2010 6:38 pm

I am very happy with the mattenfilter idea, which can be varied a lot, and also be implemeted in a sump...

THis post contains more links which lead to an English describtion...

http://forums.loaches.com/viewtopic.php ... sc&start=0

There is a certain flow rate, that seems to be beneficial for bacteria growth, but of course, bacteria find their home on many surfaces, but once flow is provided, I would always try to implement that mattenfilter logic in one way or the other. As a prefilter to the mattenfilter, I would design something that sorts out the rough particles, the mat (bio filter) does not plug up that fast. Something like a trap, where waterspeed slows down and thus mud collects to be easily sucked of during waterchange. I'd also try to create thze overflow in a syphon design, that's not as noisy and could possibly pick up water from the lower waterzone. ... or so ... :lol:
Wolfram

Ashleigh

Post by Ashleigh » Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:37 am

That is quite interesting :)

Ive had a read at the article http://www.janrigter.nl/mattenfilter/ from http://forums.loaches.com/viewtopic.php ... en&start=0 post and I understand the basics...but how would one convert that for use in a sump??

Ashleigh

Diana

Post by Diana » Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:30 am

Looking at the last picture:
From left:
Water enters, pours over and through mechanical media. Debris that is not actually trapped in the media itself will stay on the floor of this chamber and can be vacuumed out.
Narrow chamber: Chemical media, or heater. Make sure the heater stays under the water line.
Next chamber: biological media. Test, see how full this chamber can be (probably only about half full), and figure out how to distribute the water across all the biological media. (How about a sheet of plastic taped to the right baffle, lay it across the top of the bio media, and poked full of holes? Water mostly sheets across this, but weeps through the holes into the bio media)
Farthest right: pump.
38 tanks, 2 ponds over 4000 liters of water to keep clean and fresh.

Happy fish keeping!

Mania99

Re:

Post by Mania99 » Sun Dec 09, 2018 5:08 pm

wasserscheu wrote:
Wed Feb 24, 2010 6:38 pm
I am very happy with the mattenfilter idea, which can be varied a lot, and also be implemeted in a sump...

THis post contains more links which lead to an English describtion...

http://forums.loaches.com/viewtopic.php ... sc&start=0 transfers reims

There is a certain flow rate, that seems to be beneficial for bacteria growth, but of course, bacteria find their home on many surfaces, but once flow is provided, I would always try to implement that mattenfilter logic in one way or the other. As a prefilter to the mattenfilter, I would design something that sorts out the rough particles, the mat (bio filter) does not plug up that fast. Something like a trap, where waterspeed slows down and thus mud collects to be easily sucked of during waterchange. I'd also try to create thze overflow in a syphon design, that's not as noisy and could possibly pick up water from the lower waterzone. ... or so ... :lol:
Thank you very much

leighguyer

Re: Sump

Post by leighguyer » Mon Dec 02, 2019 11:14 pm

Nice idea. Sump is 42 x 18 x 18
basketball legends sports game