Oscar tankmates

The place for all discussions not loach-related concerning freshwater fish keeping. All our members keep other fish so you may benefit from their experience.

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

PASoracco

Oscar tankmates

Post by PASoracco » Wed Feb 24, 2010 2:51 pm

Hey everyone. When my community tank moves from the 75g to the 180g, I was planning on using the old tank for a single oscar. I used to raise them solo, so I know they get quite large and territorial, and was looking for some tankmates that could liven up the tank while not getting eaten or stressing out the oscar.

I have heard of people using some of the smaller species of chiclids, but they don't really interest me much. I've seen them housed with bichirs, but I know that isn't necessarily advised, and their cohabitation depends a lot on the size of the fish and type of bichir. I wanted a small/medium fire or tiger oscar (versus a veil or something that would get picked on more), what size and species of bichir could live with this fish? it is only a 75g, so I don't need really large fish or major waste producers, but I don't want to keep a tank with just an oscar and my albino sailfin plec. any oscar tankmate recommendations?
Just call me Pierce :)
"Act Well Your Part - There All the Honor Lies"

Jason75

Post by Jason75 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:02 pm

Well I can say without a doubt that my Oscar had nothing to do with my pleco. So he was safe and never messed with him.

Now my Oscar loved absolutley LOVED his other set of tank mates. A school of about 15 goldfish. I never knew what happened to them, but I was always having to replace them week after week.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

PASoracco

Post by PASoracco » Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:34 pm

my 9" albino sailfin is a real meanie, so I'm sure he won't have any problems with an oscar.

I probably wont be using store bought feeders for fear of disease, but my oscar will get some home bred guppies for variety. What kind of oscar did you have? Any pictures?

Diana

Post by Diana » Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:37 am

When the Oscar is young, you will probably get away with any of a wide range of fish as tank mates. As the Oscar grows he would likely eat anything that does not grow as big as he does, or you will be removing them from the tank.
Also, as he grows he will get more territorial, so fish that he grew up with might be safe, but adding anything new to a tank with a mature Oscar will be tricky.

My suggestion:
Stock the tank with a mix of fish.
Plan that a few can possibly stay with the Oscar.
Plan that you will remove the smaller fish as the Oscar and his buddy grow.
Watch the fish to determine which ones (maybe just one or two) are being well treated by the Oscar, and those are the ones that will stay with him. As for what species... I don't know.
38 tanks, 2 ponds over 4000 liters of water to keep clean and fresh.

Happy fish keeping!

Jyynx

Post by Jyynx » Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:59 am

I've read lots of places that Jack Dempsys make good tank mates for Oscars, but my sister in-law had a Dempsey with her Oscar and he bullied the poor guy like crazy. The Dempsey spent a long time hiding in a corner behind a rock, the second he/she would move the Oscar would chase it back. She ended having to move the Dempsey to another tank.

But fish do have their own individual personalities. Dempseys are supposed to be highly aggressive and this is the most mellow Depmsey in the world.

But you already said you didn't want another cichlid...how about a Raphael Catfish? I highly doubt your Oscar would ever try to mess with them...Maybe Pictus cats? They're quick enough to avoid an Oscar, and Oscars tend to be more aggressive to larger, cichlid type species.

Jason75

Post by Jason75 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 3:30 pm

PASoracco wrote:my 9" albino sailfin is a real meanie, so I'm sure he won't have any problems with an oscar.

I probably wont be using store bought feeders for fear of disease, but my oscar will get some home bred guppies for variety. What kind of oscar did you have? Any pictures?
unfortunately I don't, but it was a Tiger. I had him several years ago. He was palm size before he passed.

Oh yea let me suggest something to you. I also had a blue oscar (blue boy was his name) ummm he wasnt very big, seriously he was small and he tried to take out a SAE and ummm died because it got stuck in its mouth. Just be careful.

PASoracco

Post by PASoracco » Fri Feb 26, 2010 12:13 am

Diana wrote:My suggestion:
Stock the tank with a mix of fish.
Plan that a few can possibly stay with the Oscar.
Plan that you will remove the smaller fish as the Oscar and his buddy grow.
Watch the fish to determine which ones (maybe just one or two) are being well treated by the Oscar, and those are the ones that will stay with him. As for what species... I don't know.
I like this idea since I already wanted to get a younger Oscar so he could grow into his home, and settle in. Now I just need to work out a group of fish that will work with each other and the oscar. Maybe some large danios or barbs, appropriately sized bichirs or some peaceful catfish.

any suggestions?
Jyynx wrote:how about a Raphael Catfish? I highly doubt your Oscar would ever try to mess with them...Maybe Pictus cats? They're quick enough to avoid an Oscar, and Oscars tend to be more aggressive to larger, cichlid type species.
I saw three small raphaels in the LFS yesterday when I was getting more zebras, and read up on them. Sounds like it could be a good match; handsome fish and large enough adult size to stay out of trouble with the oscar. Only issue is I have heard their personality ranges from very shy to aggressive and territorial. Maybe if the fishes grew together, they would develop a bond, or at least a mutual disintrest.

Would a pictus cat get large enough fast enough to live with an oscar? even fully grow at 5-6", could a pictus fend off a full grown oscar?
Jason75 wrote:I also had a blue oscar (blue boy was his name) ummm he wasnt very big, seriously he was small and he tried to take out a SAE and ummm died because it got stuck in its mouth. Just be careful.
A friend of mine lost one of his tigers when it tried to eat a chinese algae eater that he moved from one of his other tanks when it was being a pest. how long did you have the blue? i know their a dyed mod; did his color ever fade?

Diana

Post by Diana » Fri Feb 26, 2010 11:12 am

Pimelodus pictus are indeed very fast, but I think a determined Oscar would be able to kill them.

Filamentosa Barbs are fast, active, alert fish. I am not sure if they could stay in the tank when the Oscar is fully adult (too many large fish = messy tank) but would sure help to fill it up for a while, perhaps get the Oscar used to the idea that there are other fish that live in the same tank.
38 tanks, 2 ponds over 4000 liters of water to keep clean and fresh.

Happy fish keeping!

Jason75

Post by Jason75 » Fri Feb 26, 2010 2:41 pm

"how long did you have the blue? i know their a dyed mod; did his color ever fade?"

I had him maybe 3 months, I didnt see any fading.