Pics of Melanotaenia lacustris, turquoise rainbow juveniles

The place for all discussions not loach-related concerning freshwater fish keeping. All our members keep other fish so you may benefit from their experience.

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

clint

Pics of Melanotaenia lacustris, turquoise rainbow juveniles

Post by clint » Thu Apr 01, 2010 10:54 am

These are 2 of my 3 turquoise rainbows, only around 2" as of now. They had no color when i purchased them, which is usually the case with young bows. So you never know if they will color up or not. I've seen some real jaw droppers and some the breeders were junk. Conditions were just right last night and i managed to get some really good pics of them. I have tried in the past only to fail. But every now and again i manage some decent shots. let me know what you think.
I think as adults they will be jaw droppers, gotta thank my LFS, i asked them to get some in and they did. I was disappointed that they weren't bigger, because of the color thing with bows. I'm a happy camper now.

soul-hugger

Post by soul-hugger » Thu Apr 01, 2010 3:23 pm

Very Nice!

After having had Rainbows, I know how hard they can be to photograph. They are always on the move and often photos fail to capture their true colour. Excellent job with these ones:)

Rainbows are a fish whose beauty tends to increase with age. These are going to be lovely.

soul-hugger
Success is measured by the amount of obstacles you have overcome.

clint

Post by clint » Thu Apr 01, 2010 3:51 pm

I'm thinking they should be jaw droppers when adults, sometimes one gets lucky. I like my bows as much as i like my loaches, i think they make great tankmates. I have the 3 turquoise, 2 red, 1 yellow and 3:5 boesemani rainbows.

Yes getting good pics is hard to do, i've deleted 100's of photos to get the small collection of decent ones i have. I'm done with pictures for now until the reds and turquoise grow into adults. It'll be a few more months before that happens. Then again i got that one male turquoise who is camera shy, he'll be good practice until then. Thanks for noting the difficulty in getting good pics of these guys. I'm glad its not just me.