Native shrimp of central China

The place for all discussions not loach-related concerning freshwater fish keeping. All our members keep other fish so you may benefit from their experience.

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

weishuyang333

Native shrimp of central China

Post by weishuyang333 » Sun Apr 04, 2010 6:31 am

My hometown,Henan Province,is called Central Plain(中原),is the source region of Chinese civilization.It is in the cental of China,There are four kinds of shrimp,I din't know the English name of them,and still the Latin name,so I just traslate the Chinese name to English.

First,the blackshell shrimp(黑壳虾 ),they are one of the most common shrimp in China,and different individuals may have different colors.The biggest are 3cms,What I have are green and brown.I got them from the creek near my home.

Second,the hook shrimp(钩虾),I have only one picture,because it is very difficult to find them in my tank.Usually ,two shrimps hug together,but this pic has only one.Usually,they are find with the blackshell shrimp.

Third,some kind of Macrobrachium,We called it as the big eyes thief(大眼贼),the first is a young(3cm),and then the adult(more than 10 cm),I got them from the lake.

The last,still some kind of Macrobrachium,but smaller than the big eyes,with Stripes on its body,I have only one pic.

weishuyang333

Post by weishuyang333 » Sun Apr 04, 2010 1:20 pm

sorry,I just used a album which can't share pic,I have updated it .

clint

Post by clint » Sun Apr 04, 2010 4:51 pm

Very nice pics i like that last one and that big one.

turtleguy146

Post by turtleguy146 » Sun Apr 04, 2010 7:34 pm

Cool! I wish there were similar shrimp in Georgia creeks. We have several varieties of crayfish but they don't get along well with most small fish.

palaeodave

Post by palaeodave » Sun Apr 18, 2010 2:18 pm

Very nice!
"Science is a lot like sex. Sometimes something useful comes of it, but that’s not the reason we’re doing it" ー R Feynman

Noto

Post by Noto » Wed Apr 28, 2010 6:51 pm

Very interesting! I believe the blackshell shrimp are a species of Neocaridina, perhaps N. denticulata. The hook shrimp is a type of amphipod.

Turtleguy- GA does have some large Macrobrachium species in coastal rivers, but they don't do any better with fish than crayfish do. Grass shrimp (Palaemonetes) are also common there but are found in sluggish streams and wetlands (both fresh and salt), not rocky upland creeks.

Graeme Robson

Post by Graeme Robson » Thu Apr 29, 2010 2:43 am

Superb!! 8)

starsplitter7

Post by starsplitter7 » Thu Apr 29, 2010 10:04 pm

Wonderful! Thank you for sharing. I love shrimp.