Dwarf Pea Puffers

The place for all discussions not loach-related concerning freshwater fish keeping. All our members keep other fish so you may benefit from their experience.

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

Katy

Dwarf Pea Puffers

Post by Katy » Sat Apr 17, 2010 7:08 pm

Does anyone have them? They look so cute, but seems they are too aggressive to go in with pretty much anything else. I am thinking (well, the voices are telling me to :roll: ) of getting a little 6-gallon eclipse to keep at my office with them.

Any thoughts?

(other than that I am truly crazy to be thinking about ANOTHER tank...)

soul-hugger

Post by soul-hugger » Mon Apr 19, 2010 1:45 pm

Hi, Katy..,

Although Dwarf Puffers are small, they need a lot of space. They are messy little guys, and need excellent filtration as well. IMHO a 6-Gallon tank will be inadequate for their needs. For 5 fish something in the neighbourhood of a heavily planted 15-20 Gallon would be better.

They are cute though, very curious and intelligent. Although they are not the little monsters people make them out to be, they do get territorial with each other and need sufficient territories, including visual barriers, in order to feel secure.

They are also very picky eaters, IME being interested in mostly snails. Even live Brine Shrimp and Ghost Shrimp failed to capture their attention the way the snails did.

All this combined makes them rather challenging to keep, and in the long run for an office tank you would be better off with something much lower-maintenance. Too bad, though, 'cause I can see them staring with their movable eyes at you over your paperwork....

soul-hugger
Success is measured by the amount of obstacles you have overcome.