Crystal Red Shrimp in the Bay Area

The place for all discussions not loach-related concerning freshwater fish keeping. All our members keep other fish so you may benefit from their experience.

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

PASoracco

Crystal Red Shrimp in the Bay Area

Post by PASoracco » Sat Apr 24, 2010 4:10 am

Howdy All. I started with 6 crystal reds in my 10g plant grow out tank months ago, and now there is a carpet crawling on every single surface; I have dozens. They managed to control the mts/pond snail populations and out live all the ghost and amano shrimp. Now I'm looking for good homes in the SF bay area for some of these shrimp. I don't want to ship them, but anyone who wants to pick them up, send me a PM or just post in this thread.

sorry for the blurry pictures. all sizes, tons of pattern variations, lots of egg carrying females.
Just call me Pierce :)
"Act Well Your Part - There All the Honor Lies"

Diana

Post by Diana » Sat Apr 24, 2010 11:54 am

Many people at SFBAAPS are interested in CRS. Come and join us!

www.SFBAAPS.org

is San Francisco Bay Area Aquatic Plant Society.

(Or are you already a member under a different name?)
38 tanks, 2 ponds over 4000 liters of water to keep clean and fresh.

Happy fish keeping!

Jim Powers

Post by Jim Powers » Sat Apr 24, 2010 12:09 pm

I sure wish I lived closer. I would certainly be interested.

Diana

Post by Diana » Sat Apr 24, 2010 5:31 pm

ARe you anywhere near BART or somewhere in Contra Costa County? I am interested, but have limited transportation.

Happy fish keeping!

PASoracco

Post by PASoracco » Sat Apr 24, 2010 6:36 pm

Diana, I wasn't previously a member, but I'm joining now :)

I'm in San Bruno, but an inconvenient distance (and uphill) from the bart station, and we have a lousy public trans system. I could drop them off at the station or pick you up if you wanted to pick the shrimp out for yourself or see the fish.

I work in theatre, so my schedule is a bit abnormal (and I loathe mornings), but PM me and we can work something out

Diana

Post by Diana » Sat Apr 24, 2010 10:04 pm

Several people at SFBAAPS have expressed interest. Yes, please come and join us.

I would like to work out some way to pick up some shrimp from you. ARe you trying to empty the tank to do something else with it, or just trying to thin the population? Is there are certain time you want to see the shrimp head out?

What are the water parameters in your tank? I will set up a tank that matches that, so there will be no acclimation problems.

Happy fish keeping!

PASoracco

Post by PASoracco » Sat Apr 24, 2010 11:11 pm

just trying to thin out a crowded tank; a community this size should really be in a 20+ gallon, but I don't have the room. I am in no rush to move them, especially because I will be quite busy this up coming week.

The tank has a small 50w heater, so it floats from 72-76 degrees during the day. I rarely check the parameters, because with weekly water changes and a small HOB, the tank stays gorgeous. When I have checked, PH has been 6.5-6.8, kh ~8, gh ~12, amonia and nitrates 0. The tank has tons of plants and some drift wood, and the CRS are only fed spectrum pellets, so the parameters have been consistent for months.

I'm still waiting to hear back from SFBAAPS, but a few members from there have already PMed me here, so I think I wont have any problems finding homes for everyone.

Diana

Post by Diana » Sun Apr 25, 2010 11:41 am

Yes, I am following the interest over at SFBAAPS, too. I would like to get some of these shrimp, perhaps one of the SFBAAPS members will work out something so you do not have to dig into the tank several times and make a mess of it over and over. Just once, get a lot of shrimp out of it, then the disruption is over until the next time the population gets that big.
He mentioned that you want to trade some plants for the shrimp. Are there certain plants you are interested in?

Happy fish keeping!

PASoracco

Post by PASoracco » Mon Apr 26, 2010 1:54 am

I gave him 40+ shrimp so they could make it to other members; it was amazing how small of a dent it made in the population. Hopefully once I join up, I can find out about future meetings and bring some along myself.

I'm mainly looking for plants for my 180g loach tank being set-up, the taller and more robust the better. I prefer rooted/rhizome plants to loose stem plants; no floating plants! The tank will be running 1.5wpg from a HO t5 system, so moderate light. I already have large swords, a couple varieties of anubias, java fern, cabomba, mayaca, etc. Anything new would be appreciated.