Mudskipper questions

The place for all discussions not loach-related concerning freshwater fish keeping. All our members keep other fish so you may benefit from their experience.

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

mpeterb

Mudskipper questions

Post by mpeterb » Sat Jun 19, 2010 1:23 am

Can anyone share information about keeping mudskippers? I just got a new 40 gallon tank and I want!

I was planning on getting Indian mudskippers from here:
http://www.livefishdirect.com/store.php?fid=616

My general plan is half mud, gravel over the submerged mud, I have an Eheim 2213 I was going to position over a half tube to make a stream into the water.

Is there a mudskipper forum? Anyone with personal suggestions?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Matt

Bully

Post by Bully » Sat Jun 19, 2010 5:04 am

Diana

Post by Diana » Sat Jun 19, 2010 10:11 am

I have kept them. They climb. They can escape.

I built an island with rocks. Not a deep pile of mud or gravel.
Tankmates included a Dragon Goby, Orange Chromides Mollies and a Guppy.
Plants never did well in that salt level, but occasionally I would add some. All they did was to die slowly.
SG 1.004.
38 tanks, 2 ponds over 4000 liters of water to keep clean and fresh.

Happy fish keeping!

mpeterb

Post by mpeterb » Sun Jun 20, 2010 1:22 am

Thank you both.

andyroo

Post by andyroo » Sun Jun 20, 2010 9:52 am

You can often buy mangrove propagules (seed-pods) in marine petshops or on-line. They grow very slowly and can't really be transplanted (for cleaning), but will add some nice greenery. Scratch-that, I only know them in the wild- I don't know what they're like in an aquarium/terrarium setting.

Mudskippers are estuarine/tidal, usually on the marine side of the salinity scale. In 40Gallons you may not be able to get enough depth for regular fish, but you could have a nice collection of crabs and invertebrates. Start with mollies and play it by ear, i guess.
A
"I can eat 50 eggs !"

Matt

Post by Matt » Sun Jun 20, 2010 1:06 pm

I kept a group of P. novemradiatus for several years in a very simple set-up and found them quite easy. Definitely the best mudskipper for home aquaria as they only grow to around 5-6 cm. The main consideration is provision of space for each fish; if there aren't enough exposed areas for individuals to form small territories you'll be left with the weaker specimens clinging to the glass constantly and being out-competed for food. I used to feed them individually which worked very well because if you put the food in the same spot every day the dominant fish will simply not allow the others near it. It's also entertaining as they become hand tame quite quickly and will jump onto your palm to feed.

Keep the diet varied. They'll accept frozen bloodworm, Artemia, chopped prawn (shrimp) and other such items, and I used to offer a single weekly meal of a high quality Spirulina-based flake food to provide some vegetable matter.

Water depth is unimportant as this species is highly terrestrial and you'll find that most of the time they sit half-in, half-out of the water. Personally I wouldn't keep other fishes in with them to maximise the amount of available floor space and inverts are probably best avoided too. I'd also be a bit wary about using mud; where will it be taken from?

Some pics:

odyssey

Post by odyssey » Mon Jun 21, 2010 8:35 am

I traveled to Okinawa of the Japanese southernmost department and took pictures the south mudskipper of a natural habitat last week.

South mudskipper (Periophthalmus argentilineatus).
The south mudskipper is distributed over the Ryukyu chain of islands widely in Japan. I inhabit from mangrove forest floor to the water's edge edge.

Without swimming in the water for them when danger is felt, they jump and run awaya on surface of the water, .
I am not used to English. Therefore,It is likely to sometimes misunderstand it.

Diana

Post by Diana » Mon Jun 21, 2010 9:37 am

Interesting pictures, Odyssey.
How salty is the water there? Is this in an area where fresh and salt water are mixing?
When there were several nearby how much space did each fish have?

Happy fish keeping!

odyssey

Post by odyssey » Mon Jun 21, 2010 10:48 am

They live at a tideland.
The salinity of the water from tideland isn't fixed.
Fresh and salt water are mixing there.

As far as I saw, they didn't crowd.
I am not used to English. Therefore,It is likely to sometimes misunderstand it.

mpeterb

Post by mpeterb » Mon Jun 21, 2010 1:50 pm

Thanks to Matt and Odyssey for pics and advice.
Personally I wouldn't keep other fishes in with them to maximise the amount of available floor space and inverts are probably best avoided too. I'd also be a bit wary about using mud; where will it be taken from?
I'll probably keep some guppies in the tank to start, so the skippers can nibble fry if they want to.

The mud would come from my own backyard. I know that cautious aquarists might cringe at that idea, but as we speak I have minnows, bettas and shrimp in various pots and tanks in my yard, all have dirt in them for hyacinths to take root in, and certainly dirt has gotten into my pond and doesn't seem to have done any harm to my goldfish or koi. I'm not being snarky, that's just been my experience.

As far as I know mudskippers haven't bred in captivity, but just the same I want to provide as close to their native environment as I can with 4 square feet. That means enough water to play in, if they ever want to, as well as enough soft sediment for them to dig burrows in.

Diana

Post by Diana » Mon Jun 21, 2010 6:07 pm

I tried mud from my yard for a planted tank.
So much fine matter that it never cleared. :-( What a mess!

I am not frowning on using available materials. I am concerned about how deep it will be, though. My brackish water tank was a full tank, just a bit shy of water at the top for room for the mudskipper. I had other brackish water fish swimming in the rest of it. This is why I made a flat rock into an island on very tall legs.

I like the picture above, where the mudskippers are all there are in that tank. The water level is really low. Plenty of room to grow a baby mangrove.

Happy fish keeping!

mpeterb

Post by mpeterb » Tue Jun 22, 2010 4:26 am

I'll know for sure when I have it set up, but I was thinking 10-12" of water, or about half a tank. I'll be sure and have a tight lid, maybe just a screen instead of glass.

As for the mud, I've done it in planted tanks covered with gravel, and out door tanks without gravel or filtration, but I think you might be right about the mess with a filter on. Maybe I'll arrange the return so it doesn't kick up a big mess, maybe I'll give up and have sand in the water and shore, with only mud in the land area? I'm not ordering the skippers until I'm happy with the tank, so I'll have some time to play around with it.

I did order some mangroves.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... CA:US:1123

Thanks again to everyone who replied here, this really is the best forum I'm aware of.

:D

Ruhig Blut

Post by Ruhig Blut » Tue Jun 22, 2010 8:29 am

Hi Matt,

I'm not sure if it's useful for you, since it's a german forum...
If you have specific questions I can try to translate.

It's a thread about a tide-simulating aquarium with mudskippers:
http://www.scalareonline.de/sco/viewtop ... =4&t=13351

Ingo
I try to tolerate everything - but intolerance!

mpeterb

Post by mpeterb » Tue Jun 22, 2010 1:33 pm

That is so cool! I looked at it with google-translate, but that only helps a little. Does he explain what exactly he did to achieve the tides. And what's a Blauenfilterschwamm, if you know?

Thank you.

Francois van Brederode

Post by Francois van Brederode » Tue Jun 22, 2010 1:54 pm

Blue filter sponge me thinks
Pardon my English, I'm from Holland....