Mudskipper questions

The place for all discussions not loach-related concerning freshwater fish keeping. All our members keep other fish so you may benefit from their experience.

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

mpeterb

Post by mpeterb » Tue Jun 22, 2010 2:27 pm

Francois van Brederode wrote:Blue filter sponge me thinks
Well, that makes a lot of sense, thank you.

ruthcatrin

Post by ruthcatrin » Tue Jun 22, 2010 6:53 pm

You can get mangrove seedlings (approx 1 foot in height) from a couple different places online, I'll attempt to find the site I ordered from originially but they've moved & I didn't re-save the link....They actually do quite tell in a large tank setup, you just have to put some effort into making sure they don't get to big, look into what it takes to bonsai a regular tree & treat the mangroves the same way.

Diana

Post by Diana » Wed Jun 23, 2010 1:36 am

Yes, I got quite a few several years ago, but they never did well. Too little light, I am afraid.
38 tanks, 2 ponds over 4000 liters of water to keep clean and fresh.

Happy fish keeping!

Ruhig Blut

Post by Ruhig Blut » Wed Jun 23, 2010 3:14 am

Hi Matt,
mpeterb wrote:That is so cool! I looked at it with google-translate, but that only helps a little. Does he explain what exactly he did to achieve the tides. And what's a Blauenfilterschwamm, if you know?

Thank you.
blauer Filterschwamm is, as Francois guessed right, a blue filter sponge.

The tide simulation he achieved by seperating the tank in the main part and a reserve part, those are connected only by a little whole through which the water can leak back. He pumps the water into the reserve part (low tide in the main tank), then he stops the pump (probably with a timer) and the water leaks back into the mail part (high tide). It's not really like tides, since the time it takes to change levels is to short, but it's interesting anyway. Specially in the videos, when you see that they really do not like high tide - fish that don't like water :wink:

Ingo
I try to tolerate everything - but intolerance!

Matt

Post by Matt » Wed Jun 23, 2010 6:01 pm

Yes can't stress enough how terrestrial these are. If you put food on an elevated piece of wood or something they'll climb up to find it! Very poor swimmers too. 2-3" of water is the most I'd recommend.

andyroo

Post by andyroo » Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:57 am

I'd keep an eye on this mangrove propagule/seedling. It looks like he's just pulled it out of his back-yard, so make sure you wash it well.
It's also rooted. In my experience they don't do well with transplanting on their best day, but good luck and keep us posted.
I think Rhizophora mangle is a protected species in Fla as well, so keep your head down ;)
A
"I can eat 50 eggs !"