Angelfish fry in my 75 gal. community tank

The place for all discussions not loach-related concerning freshwater fish keeping. All our members keep other fish so you may benefit from their experience.

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

loachmom

Angelfish fry in my 75 gal. community tank

Post by loachmom » Wed Jul 21, 2010 8:14 am

After two unsuccessful attempts, my angelfish have decided that their eggs are not their food and are raising fry in my 75 gallon community tank. They are delightful to watch as they fiercely defend their young. I'm not sure how many will make it since there are so many predators in the tank, such as rummy nose tetras, harlequin rasboras, ghost catfish, and platies. I'm feeding the fry frozen bbs to give them a fighting chance. I realize that live bbs are the best food for them, but I don't have the time for that at the moment. Who knows, maybe all of them will make it! :o
Image:)
A person's a person no matter how small.
Dr. Seuss

starsplitter7

Post by starsplitter7 » Wed Jul 21, 2010 6:01 pm

Wow! That is so cool. Hope they fare well. :)

loachmom

Post by loachmom » Thu Jul 22, 2010 8:43 am

When I got home last evening, I discovered that the male had abandoned his post. He was no longer guarding his young, and the female was trying valiantly to keep her family together. The number of fry had gone from around 50 to just twelve in a matter of hours.

This morning, the male was actively hunting the remaining fry, and now there are none. :(

It was a pleasure to watch them care for their young. I'm glad we got to witness it even if it was just for a little while.
A person's a person no matter how small.
Dr. Seuss

starsplitter7

Post by starsplitter7 » Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:17 am

Hopefully, the male will learn to care for his young in the next litter or two.

Martin Thoene
Location: Toronto.....Actually, I've been on LOL since September 1998

Post by Martin Thoene » Thu Jul 22, 2010 4:44 pm

Harlequin Rasboras are very accomplished fry-hunters. It's a shame, but inevitable you'll lose some to predation especially if the parents let their guard drop.

Martin.
Image Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated.