Do you always use a carbon filter?

The place for all discussions not loach-related concerning freshwater fish keeping. All our members keep other fish so you may benefit from their experience.

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

Yes
21%
No
50%
Sometimes
29%
I use something better than carbon!
No votes

Total votes: 14

vealboy

Post by vealboy » Sat Jul 31, 2010 12:49 am

So I am currently treating for Ich (again) and have removed my carbon filters from my Penguin HOB. It got me to thinking, "Is the carbon filter really necessary, or is it just to "polish" the water to make the water appear super clear?"

Oldfish

Post by Oldfish » Sat Jul 31, 2010 5:23 pm

I stopped putting carbon in my filters about 1968.So far I've had good results.Just make sure to keep up with water changes

glenna

Post by glenna » Sat Jul 31, 2010 9:04 pm

I have a few of those HOB filters that have carbon containing cartidges. I have started making my own with just the filter sheet stuff - much cheaper. I will still use the cartidge if I amm short on time. No worse for the lack of carbon. I use carbon after I treat with a med to get it out of the tank.
glenna

vealboy

Post by vealboy » Mon Aug 02, 2010 11:26 am

OK, that is helpful to know.

I have a Penguin 350 HOB which can handle 4 filter cartridges and 2 Bio wheels. I have been using filters from Dr. Smith & Foster which have a carbon insert and a sponge for bacteria. Since I am medicating the tank I took the carbon out, and was wondering if it served a purpose other than removing meds and making the water super clear. My fish don't seem to be bothered by the change.

Maybe I will go carbonless after this course of meds is cleared.

Bully

Post by Bully » Mon Aug 02, 2010 3:12 pm

I've never used carbon in my tanks.

Carbon can become quickly exhausted if your tank has a particular set of variables. I think many manufacturers recommend changing it out every 4 weeks or so, very convenient if you sell carbon! In reality, again dependant upon any given tanks parameters, the carbon could last longer or, last only a few days. However, activated carbon does make an excellent medium for growing filter bacteria, and as such care may be needed when removing it after it has been in use for several weeks, as there is a possibility you could be removing a proportion of your beneficial bacteria when you change it :)