weight of 48x12x15inch tank ??

The place for all discussions not loach-related concerning freshwater fish keeping. All our members keep other fish so you may benefit from their experience.

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

kaz

weight of 48x12x15inch tank ??

Post by kaz » Sun Aug 01, 2010 5:18 am

Hey

Not too sure where to post this query - but, I am considering buying the above tank and was wondering approx how much it would weigh when 2 thirds full.

It is in fact for terrapins (have re-homed them from a friend and they are in too small a tank!), I do already have tropical fish and have a stand that can hold a 100litre tank. How strong will the stand have to be?

1 litre = 1kg???? is that right?

Which means the stand my tropical fish tank is currently on should have collapsed years ago :shock: As it sits on my old antique trunk and has done for years.

I have found a tv cabinet that can hold 100kg - would that be enough?

Any help appreciated.

Kaz

Eyrie

Post by Eyrie » Sun Aug 01, 2010 7:17 am

Works out to be about 153L, so would weigh about 150kg if full. I wouldn't risk it though if the cabinet is only rated at 100kg - too many problems if it gives way.
Mature, sensible signature required for responsible position. Good prospects for the right candidate. Apply within.

kaz

Post by kaz » Sun Aug 01, 2010 7:49 am

Eyrie wrote:Works out to be about 153L, so would weigh about 150kg if full. I wouldn't risk it though if the cabinet is only rated at 100kg - too many problems if it gives way.
hmm as i suspected. Thank you so much. x

Diana

Post by Diana » Mon Aug 02, 2010 11:31 pm

48 x 12 x 15 inches is pretty close to 38 American gallons. A full tank, with substrate, stand, and equipment can roughly be figured at 10 lbs per (American) gallon, so call it 380 lbs.

122 x 30 x 38 cm = 139 liters.
Yes, water weighs 1 kg per liter, and you should multiply that by roughly 1.2 to get the weight of the tank itself, stand etc.
139 x 1.2 = 167 kg.

If the tank is not going to be full of water, it will still have all the other stuff: Rocks, substrate, equipment, a stand, and the glass box itself is not any lighter when it is partially empty.
If you subtract 1/3 of the water (and ONLY the water) then it would be about 100 lbs less, or 46 kg less.

Note that this is really rough, and includes the weight of an average aquarium stand (Whatever that is!)

You might be better off weighing the tank and whatever you will put in it (rocks, gravel...) and weigh your filter when it is full of water. Then figure out what your set up will actually weigh.
38 tanks, 2 ponds over 4000 liters of water to keep clean and fresh.

Happy fish keeping!

kaz

Thanks!

Post by kaz » Tue Aug 03, 2010 5:31 pm

Diana wrote:48 x 12 x 15 inches is pretty close to 38 American gallons. A full tank, with substrate, stand, and equipment can roughly be figured at 10 lbs per (American) gallon, so call it 380 lbs.

122 x 30 x 38 cm = 139 liters.
Yes, water weighs 1 kg per liter, and you should multiply that by roughly 1.2 to get the weight of the tank itself, stand etc.
139 x 1.2 = 167 kg.

If the tank is not going to be full of water, it will still have all the other stuff: Rocks, substrate, equipment, a stand, and the glass box itself is not any lighter when it is partially empty.
If you subtract 1/3 of the water (and ONLY the water) then it would be about 100 lbs less, or 46 kg less.

Note that this is really rough, and includes the weight of an average aquarium stand (Whatever that is!)

You might be better off weighing the tank and whatever you will put in it (rocks, gravel...) and weigh your filter when it is full of water. Then figure out what your set up will actually weigh.
Thank you Diana - very in depth (no pun intended!).

I will have weighed everything - tank, contents of tank inc water before I can decide on a stand that is strong enough, but I wasnt sure if 100kg max load for a cabinet that I had in mind would be strong enough - sadly i dont think it will be strong enough judging by your calculations :(

I know the area I intend to set up the tank on is strong enough - old cottage - solid flagstone floor straight onto dirt!

So now my search for a stronger stand continues :wink:

Cheers
Kaz

Synodontis

Post by Synodontis » Thu Aug 19, 2010 6:25 am

Hi all,

I have found this site very helpfull at times for weights, volume, Fertilization, CO2 Calculations, Diagnoser and the like. Hopefully it will help some in here. Its a free site so dont stress lol......

http://www.theaquatools.com/

May not be 100% right in calculations, but it gives you and idea of where things should be as a starting point.

Bye Bye :wink:
Bigger is better!