My water babies (photos)

The place for all discussions not loach-related concerning freshwater fish keeping. All our members keep other fish so you may benefit from their experience.

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

TayHudson

My water babies (photos)

Post by TayHudson » Thu Sep 23, 2010 1:59 pm

Since I post so many threads usually with a lot of photos (sorry) I'll make this my fish photo only thread. I still need to figure out how to delete old threads so I can rid the forum of my massive amounts of photos. Lol.

short video :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mTEOtsXKjnA

He's a bully
My tank looks so boring.
Sorry these are so blurry, I took them with my cell phone.
Good morning, we're HUNGRY!!

TayHudson

Post by TayHudson » Sun Sep 26, 2010 4:41 pm

IS THERE A WAY TO TELL IF THIS YOYO IS A MALE OR FEMALE? IT'S MUCH PLUMPER THAN THE OTHER YOYO.

palaeodave

Post by palaeodave » Mon Sep 27, 2010 6:14 am

Not enough photos get posted on the forums. I don't think there's any way for users to delete their threads but you shouldn't anyway.

Hard to say at that age with the yoyos. If one is noticeably more plump then that's a good sign it's a female.
"Science is a lot like sex. Sometimes something useful comes of it, but that’s not the reason we’re doing it" ー R Feynman

TayHudson

New photos of Simon.

Post by TayHudson » Mon Sep 27, 2010 10:22 pm

New photos of my male CT betta Simon.

I think he's looking much better these days, but I'm no expert :)

these are his new friends. to help keep his tank clean. pygmy cories :) i absolutely love them!

starsplitter7

Post by starsplitter7 » Mon Sep 27, 2010 11:01 pm

Pygmy cories are lovely. Make sure you have about 6. They are a schooling fish. :)

TayHudson

Post by TayHudson » Mon Sep 27, 2010 11:25 pm

I will. I started off slow right now, so I don't throw off the levels too bad.

starsplitter7

Post by starsplitter7 » Tue Sep 28, 2010 9:12 am

Excellent. I would love to have pygmies, and we don't have any available locally.

TayHudson

Post by TayHudson » Tue Sep 28, 2010 11:46 pm

Pretty much finished decorating the tank and giving everyone a place to hide.

TayHudson

Post by TayHudson » Fri Oct 08, 2010 12:05 pm

Kikie & Kiume (boy & girl GBR's)

TayHudson

10-29-10 UPDATE :)

Post by TayHudson » Fri Oct 29, 2010 9:49 pm

I bought 2 20 longs and a stand from a friend. One I have set up will be a hopefully heavily planted tank. Only inhabitants at the moment are Simon my CT Betta and 2 Zebra Nerites. I will be adding some Cory's and MTS' in the future. It looks pretty lame right now. But I think it has potential.

starsplitter7

Post by starsplitter7 » Fri Oct 29, 2010 11:19 pm

Oh, I envy your snails. I love snails, and my water is too acidic.

Keep an eye on your bichir. Anything that fits in its mouth will be lunch. I moved mine to eat shrimp pellets and cocktail shrimp (I can't feed live and it is a great way to introduce ick and other parasites to the tank), but I know mine ate quite a few danios before I found out she's a fish eater. I know friends have lost 3" Cories to bichirs. Not too many fish try to swallow Cories. My bichir is a totally mellow, and I have to make sure other fish don't pick on her.

TayHudson

Post by TayHudson » Sat Oct 30, 2010 1:25 am

starsplitter7 wrote:Oh, I envy your snails. I love snails, and my water is too acidic.

Keep an eye on your bichir. Anything that fits in its mouth will be lunch. I moved mine to eat shrimp pellets and cocktail shrimp (I can't feed live and it is a great way to introduce ick and other parasites to the tank), but I know mine ate quite a few danios before I found out she's a fish eater. I know friends have lost 3" Cories to bichirs. Not too many fish try to swallow Cories. My bichir is a totally mellow, and I have to make sure other fish don't pick on her.
I love these snails already. I want a tank full of them. I think thats what I'm going to do with my 20 longs. They are perfect.

My bichir is still on the small side @ only 4". I got 3 Giant Danios as dither/target fish. My rams died and my severum will not come out for anything but food now. But tonight she came out and was all over the tank. The bichir rarely comes out right now.

starsplitter7

Post by starsplitter7 » Sat Oct 30, 2010 7:45 pm

The bichir is a night time ambush predator. You'll start seeing your other fish with missing parts. At least that's what happened with my danios. The bichir is still one of my favorite fish. I love her. She is so nice. She is usually hidden during the day. Often she'll swim like crazy before a storm.

I am very sorry to hear you lost your rams. That is terrible. Have you done a check of your water -- maybe you lost your cycle? If your fish aren't coming out, they may not feel well.

Last niight I figured out my 29 had both of the filters off. The one filter has been off for days -- it was hot and dry. The second had a clogged intake. I am glad I didn't lose any fish.

TayHudson

Post by TayHudson » Sun Oct 31, 2010 12:30 am

starsplitter7 wrote:The bichir is a night time ambush predator. You'll start seeing your other fish with missing parts. At least that's what happened with my danios. The bichir is still one of my favorite fish. I love her. She is so nice. She is usually hidden during the day. Often she'll swim like crazy before a storm.

I am very sorry to hear you lost your rams. That is terrible. Have you done a check of your water -- maybe you lost your cycle? If your fish aren't coming out, they may not feel well.

Last niight I figured out my 29 had both of the filters off. The one filter has been off for days -- it was hot and dry. The second had a clogged intake. I am glad I didn't lose any fish.
I check my levels regularly and they've been normal and good. I keep my WC's up and all that jazz. So I'm gonna wait and see how the severum does. I think I might give her back to my friend once she gets a bigger tank. I just don't think she's feelin it anymore in mine. Even tho since I added the danios she's been coming out little by little.

starsplitter7

Post by starsplitter7 » Sun Oct 31, 2010 12:43 am

Good luck with your fishies.