A couple of my pond fish

The place for all discussions not loach-related concerning freshwater fish keeping. All our members keep other fish so you may benefit from their experience.

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

Mad Duff

A couple of my pond fish

Post by Mad Duff » Sat Sep 25, 2010 4:55 am

I was having a clear out last week and sorted a few fish out to move to my Dad's pond and I took the oppertunity to get a couple of pics.

This is an Ide (natural form of orfe) I have had the fish for around 9 years now and it went into the pond around 2" long:

This is one of my big carp, it has changed a lot since it was introduced to my father in laws pond 10 years ago at 4", it was then moved to my pond 3 years ago at about 10" and this is her now:

It took a couple of attempts to get the photo of the carp, mainly because I was absolutely soaked from head to toe :lol:

Pardon my honesty - I am a Northerner

14 loach species bred, which will be next?

Jim Powers

Post by Jim Powers » Sat Sep 25, 2010 8:39 am

Nice fish! :shock:

clint

Post by clint » Sat Sep 25, 2010 8:44 am

Cool fish, how big is the pond? Man made or natural?

Mad Duff

Post by Mad Duff » Sat Sep 25, 2010 8:50 am

Thankyou :)

The pond is just over 6000 gallon, here are a couple of pics

I also have 4 sturgeon in there, this is one of them:

clint

Post by clint » Sat Sep 25, 2010 9:06 am

WOW, really nice setup you have there. I must say i like all the Buddha statues and the Fu dogs/dragon are cool as well.

starsplitter7

Post by starsplitter7 » Sat Sep 25, 2010 10:15 am

Absolutely fantastic! I always love looking at your pond pictures. And your sturgeon are great. Fantastic looking fish.

Our Aquarium club had an amazing presentation from a Koi Farmer, and then they had had a Koi Growout contest. It was amazing. Wisps of fish that grew to 2-4 inches in 4 months. Wowsers!

Jim Powers

Post by Jim Powers » Sat Sep 25, 2010 7:50 pm

Looks like a nice place to sit in the evening with a cold one.
Love the sturgeon!

mark joshi2

Post by mark joshi2 » Sun Sep 26, 2010 4:51 am

I always love looking at your pond pictures. And your sturgeon are great. Fantastic looking fish.Our Aquarium club had an amazing presentation from a Koi Farmer, and then they had had a Koi Growout contest. It was amazing. Wisps of fish that grew to 2-4 inches in 4 months. Wowsers!

piggy4

Post by piggy4 » Sun Sep 26, 2010 6:42 am

Love the pics Mark :!:

Oldfish

Post by Oldfish » Sun Sep 26, 2010 12:56 pm

Mad Duff wrote: The pond is just over 6000 gallon
How deep is it? Do you heat it any?

Mad Duff

Post by Mad Duff » Sun Sep 26, 2010 1:42 pm

Oldfish wrote: How deep is it? Do you heat it any?
It is 6 feet deep along the back edge sloping down to 7 feet deep along the front edge, no heating, I do have to large air pumps that run all year round, these are metal bodied and get quite warm and in turn do pump warm air into the pond.

glenna

Post by glenna » Sun Sep 26, 2010 10:37 pm

Your set up is VERY lovely!!!
I hope to someday have something as nice! Do you sit out there often?
Not knowing a lot about where you live.... does it get very cold in the Winter?
Do you have a heater out in the pond????

I am obviously thinking about adding a deep pond (4 feet ) in the back yard, but have no place INSIDE to save fishies should I be unprepared, so I am hearing what others are doing FIRST. I would like to keep koi. I live in the mid South US, so garden zone (USDA Hardiness) 7A which only gets below zero occasionally, but this does occur, from time to time (one time x 2 nights last year, if I remember....I HATE the cold :(
I think if I get it deep enough, and keep a spot thawed on the surface, I (they!!!....I will be warm and cozy in the house!!!) should be okay to survive the Winter, but not really sure.

The picutres are great, THanks!
glenna

Mad Duff

Post by Mad Duff » Mon Sep 27, 2010 12:19 pm

glenna wrote:Your set up is VERY lovely!!!
I hope to someday have something as nice! Do you sit out there often?
Not knowing a lot about where you live.... does it get very cold in the Winter?
Do you have a heater out in the pond????

I am obviously thinking about adding a deep pond (4 feet ) in the back yard, but have no place INSIDE to save fishies should I be unprepared, so I am hearing what others are doing FIRST. I would like to keep koi. I live in the mid South US, so garden zone (USDA Hardiness) 7A which only gets below zero occasionally, but this does occur, from time to time (one time x 2 nights last year, if I remember....I HATE the cold :(
I think if I get it deep enough, and keep a spot thawed on the surface, I (they!!!....I will be warm and cozy in the house!!!) should be okay to survive the Winter, but not really sure.

The picutres are great, THanks!
Thank you Glenna, yeah I do like to chill out with a beer occasionally by the pond :D , it is also nice hand feeding the koi which I can spend quite a while doing.

No heaters even in the winter, we get pretty cold winters and will get temps down to and below zero quite regularly, Some people switch over to smaller pumps over the winter but I leave everyhing running, pumps, filters, Uv's and air pump and between the air pump and uv's they do put some heat into the water but not that much.

It does make a big difference having the roof over the pond because then no freezing rain or snow are going in, with the pumps running the pond never freezes.

The deeper you can go the better, even if similar to mine it is dug down and then raised up from the ground. You can get polythene tents like polytunnels to go over the pond in the winter and these do help hold heat in around the pond.