Wood: toxicity, rot and tannins

The place for all discussions not loach-related concerning freshwater fish keeping. All our members keep other fish so you may benefit from their experience.

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

andyroo

Wood: toxicity, rot and tannins

Post by andyroo » Wed Sep 29, 2010 11:03 am

Folks,
Where might one find information on toxicity of woods in the aquarium, and in particular hardwoods?

I ask as I'd like to get some planters made and would like to make them out of local tropical hardwoods.

As examples, the ficus group, cedars (tropical and western red), legumes and almond(s) come to mind.

Are there any rules of thumb like "the stronger the smell the more potential for drama" or "if it feels oily/waxy it is to be avoided" or anything like that?

The wood-worker is trying to sell me on a lovely Brazilian import. It's hard as hell, sinks, feels clean, is light coloured and has very little smell.
I'd prefer to stay with something local, but this is available and seems pretty good (?)
A
"I can eat 50 eggs !"

Noto

Post by Noto » Wed Sep 29, 2010 5:54 pm

I've been looking for that sort of information and haven't found any. Strong smells are often associated with toxins (but not always). You could test it the old fashioned way. How do you feel about running a tank with hardy, inexpensive fish for a while with the driftwood in it?

Diana

Post by Diana » Thu Sep 30, 2010 12:39 am

Fresh wood will have the strongest toxins (if any).
As the wood ages, alternating wet and dry, the toxins are altered, and leached out.

For driftwood this could mean aging it naturally by letting it sit in the garden for several months, or aging it yourself by soaking (boiling is best, any hot water is faster than cold, but use whatever fits the size of the wood) and drying it (sun or oven) alternating several times.

I do not think this is very good for lumber that you want to build with, though.

I think a test tank with some expendable fish is the answer.
38 tanks, 2 ponds over 4000 liters of water to keep clean and fresh.

Happy fish keeping!

andyroo

Post by andyroo » Thu Dec 09, 2010 10:01 am

Too lazy to post again here, so follow the link.

http://forums.waterwolves.com/Outdoor-T ... 36350.html
"I can eat 50 eggs !"

palaeodave

Re: Wood: toxicity, rot and tannins

Post by palaeodave » Mon Dec 13, 2010 4:43 am

That's looking rather nice! Let us know here when you put the fish in.
"Science is a lot like sex. Sometimes something useful comes of it, but that’s not the reason we’re doing it" ー R Feynman

andyroo

Re: Wood: toxicity, rot and tannins

Post by andyroo » Wed Dec 15, 2010 12:53 pm

PS: I'm actually sitting with my carpenter right now- If anyone would interested in getting some of these pots made and shipped up (once these Beta-testing results come through) drop me a PM and I'll get you in touch. I think we might do some testing on other tree/wood species as well and sink them in a Mr. Turtle kiddie-pool with something more delicate/indicative then guppies for 6 months to check for toxicity, and next versions will be done with Gorilla-glue and stainless screws.
"I can eat 50 eggs !"