Channa Belheri Compatibility HELP!!!

The place for all discussions not loach-related concerning freshwater fish keeping. All our members keep other fish so you may benefit from their experience.

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

Flotsam&1Jetsom

Channa Belheri Compatibility HELP!!!

Post by Flotsam&1Jetsom » Fri Oct 01, 2010 9:32 am

I have read that these fish are fine with others that can't fit into there mouths. But which fish would that be? I read that the rainbow snakehead (channa belheri) gets to 6 inches long so I don't know which fish would actually be alright?
Weather Loaches?
Silver Dollar?
Gouramis?
Some of the larger tetras perhaps?
My plan was to get one for a 125l tank... 26 UK gallons i think that is.
Has anyone had any experience with these fish at all? Also, are they actually fish? Silly question perhaps but I have read that they don't actually posses any gills.
Do You Like Fish Sticks?

piggy4

Post by piggy4 » Sat Oct 02, 2010 4:40 am

There are usually different factors involved , for instance years ago I had some Channa Gachua in the same tank as some small Mystus cats about 1" as the Gachua grew , they reached about 7 " they never attacked the small cats ! BUT the Cats were in the tank first , I also had a group of C.bleheri and they were kept with some Syno's and a few Barbs BUT they were of similar size :) the problem is its really a bit of trial and error , and perhaps a bit of experience too :?:

Matt

Post by Matt » Sun Oct 03, 2010 10:02 am

C. bleheri comes from northern India and needs a cool winter period of 3-4 months each year so isn't really a suitable companion for any of those other fishes. It might be more rewarding to keepa pair/small group alone and attempt a breeding project?