My Finished 10g Tank =D

The place for all discussions not loach-related concerning freshwater fish keeping. All our members keep other fish so you may benefit from their experience.

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

Flotsam&1Jetsom

My Finished 10g Tank =D

Post by Flotsam&1Jetsom » Mon Oct 11, 2010 7:50 am

My first tank is finally near completion!! YIPPEE! :D
Just got to add some java fern on bark and I am done!!
Had this fishtank for about 6 years but it has lived with my mum who refused to let me take it with me when I went to Uni.
I finally took it away after she killed all the original inhabitants apart from two weather loaches. The oldest fish I have and my favourites.
I have been aquascaping for almost 3 weeks solid and going to garden centers at every oppurtunity! Much to my b.f's dismay.
Just need to get some liquid fertilliser to keep the plants happy! and buck up the moss'.

I just wanted to ask for opinions really... HAPPY JUDGING!! :lol:

Image[/img]
Do You Like Fish Sticks?

starsplitter7

Post by starsplitter7 » Tue Oct 12, 2010 2:19 pm

I think it looks great. I love the big smooth rocks scattered around,a nd I am sure your fish like it too.

Crissyloach

Post by Crissyloach » Tue Oct 12, 2010 4:08 pm

Nice! I never thought of using the rocks like that.

clownloachfan

Post by clownloachfan » Tue Oct 12, 2010 6:51 pm

nice, clean, smooth looking aquarium :D . What kind of lighting do you have and how much? This is crucial to keeping the plants alive and flourishing. The moss, cryptocorynes, valls and anubias will do more than fine with low lighting but i would be concerned about your red leaved plant (i cant tell if its nesea sp. red or ludwigia repens) as most red leaved plants need strong lighting with supplemental co2 additions. Ludwiga repens will do fine in low light. Good job on the aquscaping
ImageImage
Clowns-6 is a group and more is never too many, providing the aquarium is large enough.

Flotsam&1Jetsom

Post by Flotsam&1Jetsom » Wed Oct 13, 2010 3:03 pm

I think that the red-leaved plant is a rotala of some kind. I looked at nesaea and ludwigia images and it doesnt really look like either of them :? I wanted the shop assistant to identify it for me but Pets@Home staff don't seem to be a very talented bunch when it comes to aquatics.

I'm afraid I'm not too sure what lighting I have :?: The only writing on the lamp is:
ORIGINAL, TROPICAL
F015 - (450mm)
the plant growth lamp

The lamp is on a timer. It turns on for 4hrs in the morning, turns off for 3 hours and then turns on again for another 4 hours. I read somewhere that this turning on and off effect was good for plants and helped prevent algae growth.

I don't have any CO2 I'm afraid. I'm quite worried about using it. I know it's necessary for plants but I don't know how it all works or fits into your tank.

Obv. it's only a small tank but is it worth me getting an external filter because I don't like the Stingray one I have blocking th entire right side.
Do You Like Fish Sticks?

clownloachfan

Post by clownloachfan » Wed Oct 13, 2010 7:27 pm

As long as your lamp says plant growth, i dont see any problems. It should be sufficient for your size tank. Keep us updated with pictures in the months too come :)
ImageImage
Clowns-6 is a group and more is never too many, providing the aquarium is large enough.

ahmandi2

Great aquarium!

Post by ahmandi2 » Thu Oct 14, 2010 9:00 am

I think it's lovely! Your fishles will be living in a luxury "jungle" :D.

franmorr1966

Post by franmorr1966 » Sat Oct 16, 2010 12:46 pm

I think your ten looks fab and I love that you're keeping small sized fish in there. Very smart.