empty 10 gallon tank

The place for all discussions not loach-related concerning freshwater fish keeping. All our members keep other fish so you may benefit from their experience.

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

Crissyloach

Post by Crissyloach » Wed Oct 20, 2010 7:02 pm

I got another idea. I will have the 10 gallon, a 20+ gallon filter, heater, and a couple dividers. I am back to the dwarf frog idea. I will have the bettas separate from the frogs- Not together. I used aqadvisor- an aquarium stocking site. My end result was 4 bettas, and 8 frogs. This seems like alot for a 10 gallon tank, but my estimated stocking percentage is 108%. I would be able to do water changes as often as needed. If someone came up with a better combo of the bettas and frogs, all of them would probably be a lot safer.

starsplitter7

Post by starsplitter7 » Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:15 pm

I would add no more than 2 Bettas (separated) and two frogs. And lots of plants.

Crissyloach

Post by Crissyloach » Fri Oct 22, 2010 5:57 pm

I am definately not going to get more than 2 bettas. Any more, and it would not be enough room. If I can get more than just 2 other fish/frogs, that would be nicer. I have thought about the neons, and I honestly think my bettas would fight with them- because of the colors on the neons. Are you sure I couldn't get any more frogs?

starsplitter7

Post by starsplitter7 » Sat Oct 23, 2010 12:42 am

I have had a male Betta with neons, gold tetras, black neons, mollies, female guppies, Bristlenoses and African Dwarf frogs. I would add lots of plants, keep the bettas separated, and add a non aggressive schooling fish. I think Neons might work very well. I have never had a problem with ADF and I have kept more than 2 and didn't notice them polluting the tank badly.

Crissyloach

Post by Crissyloach » Sat Oct 23, 2010 6:47 am

I am starting to get some ideas now. I will post them later.

Crissyloach

Post by Crissyloach » Sat Oct 23, 2010 3:47 pm

#1- 2 seperated bettas, 6 frogs (total- 3 on each side), and a 4 small fish.

#2- 3 s. bettas, 6 frogs- 2 per section

#3- 2 s. bettas, 10 neon tetras (5 and 5)

#4- 2 s. bettas, 5 neons ( on 1 side), 3 frogs (1 side)

#5- 2 s. bettas, 8 frogs- too many??? (4 frogs on each side)

I am thinking of each side as a 5 gallon (or 3). I will only have 1 divider- at the half mark for 2 bettas and 2 dividers with 3 bettas. If someone has a better combo with about 6 frogs or a good amount of fish it might work. I need to have the bettas in there (at least 2 of them).

I have decided on some java moss, because I saw a test where they had 2 bettas- each in its own container. the one with the moss had less nitrite. I think this will help in many ways.

Crissyloach

Post by Crissyloach » Sun Oct 24, 2010 4:30 pm

I have thought about it, and I have decided on which fish I will get. I am getting 2 separated bettas, and 6 frogs- 3 per side. I have the tank all set up, and filled with water. All I need to do is set up the filter, and add the fish.

Crissyloach

Post by Crissyloach » Fri Nov 05, 2010 12:00 pm

The tank has been running with fish for about a week now. I am starting to notice brown algae on the gravel- likely because it is a newer tank. I would prefer not to add any different fish/creatures permanently in this tank, but I also do not want brown gravel. I have some ottos that I could move over temporarily (had to add them to another tank with the same problem- algae was gone overnight...YES!!! :) ) Should I add them or not?

If there is a creature that I could safely add to my current plan and be safe that would be great. NOTE: I do not want a lot of snails in my tank. I am fine with a single snail on either side, but a bunch is not what I want for this tank.

Another question: Will adding some live plants help? If it will, do you mind suggesting a couple of good plants. I plan on adding some anyway. I have been looking at some nice floating plants.

Current betta count...Too many. :P

starsplitter7

Post by starsplitter7 » Fri Nov 05, 2010 1:14 pm

You could get one mystery snail and let it clean either side of the tank. SOme mysteries are pretty and need a partner to reporduce.

Or you could see if there's a large shrimp that could take care of the issue. Maybe large Amano shrimp.

andyroo

Post by andyroo » Fri Nov 05, 2010 1:30 pm

Yes, plants work. Long filamentous plants that don't rely on roots for nourishment would be my suggestion. Set them in a little pot of gravel and mush (look up potting mixes) and trip them every month or so.
Also think about changing from gravel to sand- it moves more with current/fish motion so the substrate "gathers no moss"... though things will still grow on the glass and everywhere else.
Mystery snails: yes. Cheap, functional and surprisingly personable.

Seems bettas are the largest things you're looking to stock. Set the mesh with large enough holes that everybody can pass but the bettas.
And watch carefully that nobody gets stuck as they grow ;)
A
"I can eat 50 eggs !"

Crissyloach

Post by Crissyloach » Fri Nov 05, 2010 3:01 pm

Where I live, they sell almost all plants in pots. Would I keep them in this pot, or change it? I see that most aquariums with live plants keep the original little pot, and the plants are fine. I have not kept live plants in aquariums before, but I have been researching them for a while now. I am going to get some floating plants this weekend.

I am also going to get the first frogs then so I can quarantine them for a little while. I want to make sure that they are fed and used to the food by the time I put them in the 10 gallon.

starsplitter7

Post by starsplitter7 » Fri Nov 05, 2010 4:06 pm

I usually remove the plants from the pots. If you are getting floating plants, they won't need pots. I recommend water sprite. It isn't fussy and reproduces easily.

Crissyloach

Post by Crissyloach » Sat Nov 06, 2010 9:12 am

I will look for that :wink:

I am going to get at least 1 potted plant for each side. I have seen java fern, and they take nutrients through their leaves right? They lokked nice when I saw them. I think I will get 2 of them, and the water sprite. Might just get the water sprite...not sure. It depends on if I can find it or not.

Question- How many dwarf frogs could I add when it is time? I was thinking 2 or 3.

starsplitter7

Post by starsplitter7 » Sat Nov 06, 2010 9:32 am

I have two dwarf frogs in a ten gallon. Make sure they are healthy. They can carry some ikky diseases.

Crissyloach

Post by Crissyloach » Sat Nov 06, 2010 11:46 am

Yes, I have a QT tank for them, and by the time they are done there, it will be time to add them. How could I do it? Could I add the first ones to the tank right away or should I quarantine them too? I could get all of them at the same time (will have been in the same tank at the store for at least a month), add the first ones to the betta tank, and then add the others into their QT tanks. Does that make sense, or should I get them all at seperate times? I do have a store credit sort of thing at one store, and I believe they only have 1 frog at the time. He is healthy (was there on Thursday).

It would also save money if I got them all at once, because they have a 3 for deal- could get 2 of them. If I couldnt that is fine, but I am ready if I can.

What do you feed your frogs? I think I will get the HBH frog and tadpole bites, and the frozen bloodworms.