empty 10 gallon tank

The place for all discussions not loach-related concerning freshwater fish keeping. All our members keep other fish so you may benefit from their experience.

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

Crissyloach

empty 10 gallon tank

Post by Crissyloach » Wed Oct 13, 2010 8:00 pm

I now have an empty 10 gallon tank. I am thinking of having it divided with a betta on each side. Only 2 bettas total. Are there any fish or aquatic animals that I could put in with them?

TayHudson

Re: empty 10 gallon tank

Post by TayHudson » Wed Oct 13, 2010 9:31 pm

Crissyloach wrote:I now have an empty 10 gallon tank. I am thinking of having it divided with a betta on each side. Only 2 bettas total. Are there any fish or aquatic animals that I could put in with them?
Bottom dwellers are good. Since they don't really come to the top of the tank. My 1 betta Simon is in a 10 with 9 neons and 1 yoyo loach. Till I can find her a home. And he doesn't seem to mind the neons. They don't nip at him either. But I plan on moving them around since I have some rams that are breeding and I want to put them in the 10.

Crissyloach

Post by Crissyloach » Fri Oct 15, 2010 11:26 am

Has anyone been successful with african dwarf frogs and a betta together? If so, how many could I put in there with 2 bettas?

starsplitter7

Post by starsplitter7 » Fri Oct 15, 2010 9:31 pm

I have ADF with guppies, shrimp, Bristlenoses, and neons.

I have a betta with snails.

I would keep the water really clean if you mix the ADF and the betta, and watch that the frogs don't mistake the betta's fins for worms.

Crissyloach

Post by Crissyloach » Sun Oct 17, 2010 7:41 am

I think I will get fish only. I have heard of people putting small tetras, zebra danios, platies, bottom dwellers, and other aquatic creatures in with their betta.

I have also seen some videos where they have a tank only for bettas like this one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=91UwuZB2jfI

Or, I could have a community tank like this one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZY7bPp9_dtY

I am not sure what to do. I could have a community tank or the betta condo setup.[/url]

Crissyloach

Post by Crissyloach » Sun Oct 17, 2010 3:39 pm

Now that I am thinking about it, the betta condo does not provide very much room for them to spread their fins, so think I will find something way larger, have only 2 bettas in it, or have dividers. I dont think having bettas in tiny boxes is right for them. Even a breeding trap would be better- this is still not much space. What do you think I should do?

Diana

Post by Diana » Sun Oct 17, 2010 9:11 pm

I have a single Betta in 10 gallon tanks up to 45 gallon tanks with many other species of fish.
No nippers. (Tiger Barbs, Serpae Tetras, Danios, Silver Tip Tetras or other known nippers)
The tanks have (according to size) Rainbows, Loaches, Guppies, and many types of Plecos, Cories and other cats.

I think a planted tank with a Betta and a school of small fish would work really well. Perhaps Dwarf Cories, Lemon Tetras, Harlequin Rasboras...
38 tanks, 2 ponds over 4000 liters of water to keep clean and fresh.

Happy fish keeping!

Crissyloach

Post by Crissyloach » Mon Oct 18, 2010 7:36 am

I would like to keep guppies but I have heard that the betta might be agressive towards them. How could I safely keep them- would I just do it and watch, or slowly introuduce them like have a divider that they can see through and go from there?

Pywakyt

Post by Pywakyt » Mon Oct 18, 2010 7:58 am

I doubt the slow intro would help. From my understanding its the fins on the male guppies that get the beta's all wound up. So what I think would happen is the beta would fin nip until the guppies died. However I'm so NOT an expert thats just what I think would happen form research I've done.
"Life is short and hard like a body building elf."

starsplitter7

Post by starsplitter7 » Mon Oct 18, 2010 9:06 am

You might be able to keep female guppies. Some are very pretty. Their tails are less developed so the betta may ignore them. I added male feeder guppies (very plain compared to fancy male guppies) with my betta, and although I never saw the betta hurt the guppies, they all died.

Crissyloach

Post by Crissyloach » Mon Oct 18, 2010 8:04 pm

If there is even a risk then I will put a different kind of fish in there. Maybe just a betta tank- a large portion of the tank for some females and 2 or 3 smaller parts for males.

Diana

Post by Diana » Mon Oct 18, 2010 10:59 pm

Do not keep the males where they can see each other, or the females. They will spend too much of their time showing off and stressing about the rivals that will not go away.

If you want to set up Betta condos, then try a 20 long. This tank is 30" long, so you can divide it and the fish will still have room to swim around.
38 tanks, 2 ponds over 4000 liters of water to keep clean and fresh.

Happy fish keeping!

Crissyloach

Post by Crissyloach » Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:16 am

I am thinking up some ideas in the way of a divider that they cannot see through. I have had sucess with cetain dividers that are clear, but the fish cannot see each other.

I am going to have many plants closer to the divider so the fish have a chance to hide from the others. I am looking for some low-light plants. I would like to have some java moss, and java fern. I need some more plant ideas. If someone has a good one, I would like to try it.

Hokum

Post by Hokum » Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:07 am

You could try making a mesh moss wall which would let water through?

Crissyloach

Post by Crissyloach » Tue Oct 19, 2010 11:23 am

Funny you said that Hokum. That is exactly what I was thinking of doing.