Danios - Not a very nice community fish?

The place for all discussions not loach-related concerning freshwater fish keeping. All our members keep other fish so you may benefit from their experience.

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

ahmandi2

Danios - Not a very nice community fish?

Post by ahmandi2 » Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:52 am

We went through rounds of fatal disease recently and are left with one Golden Loach & 5 danios. All in good health.
I am seeing more and more attacks in the danio group; one is almost dead from the attacks. I caught it (EPIC battle!) and put it in a hanging trap in the tank; but it's not the only one getting attacked. They are all getting bitten, constantly! I really am not thrilled with them, and they seem too hyper for what we are looking to have (a nice tank with a variety of pleasant fish, nothing too hyper)...I guess we miffed it by getting them?
It's a 55 gallon, btw. The loach is not bothered by the danios.
Advice? Bad idea to have them with loaches and plecos, or no?
"I'm not *THAT* kind of hunter"

palaeodave

Post by palaeodave » Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:45 pm

Weird. Do you know which species it is?
"Science is a lot like sex. Sometimes something useful comes of it, but that’s not the reason we’re doing it" ー R Feynman

ahmandi2

Danio Species

Post by ahmandi2 » Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:23 pm

We've got long finned zebras (not sure if that's exactly their name, but I know the name is something about their longer fins & the zebra name)..
We've also got one spotted danio in there as well. He's fine. Doesn't get into too many scraps cause he doesn't hang out with the others, or he just ignores them lol..

starsplitter7

Post by starsplitter7 » Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:14 pm

I would add more to desperse the aggression. And add some floating plants like wisteria so the fish can't have a straight shot at each other.

ahmandi2

thanks!

Post by ahmandi2 » Thu Oct 21, 2010 1:41 am

Read your reply earlier and went to get three more danios, to make 8 total. Brought em back, and put them in the little hanging trap with the beat-up danio so that they could form a bond before tossing them all into the tank with the evil danios. It seems to have totally fixed the problem!!
So, thank you again lol. I appreciate all the help...!!!

starsplitter7

Post by starsplitter7 » Thu Oct 21, 2010 8:36 am

Give them a week to make sure. I hope that works. Usually with schooling fish, the more the merrier, and everyone feels much better.

When I added my Giant Danios I thought I made a huge mistake. They were wild, my mollies ended up with ripped tails, and they swam like crazy animals all over the tank. After a couple weeks they are settling down and everyone is getting along much better. I also feed the pack before I add any more new fish.

Diana

Post by Diana » Fri Oct 22, 2010 2:53 am

Danios are high energy fish, zipping all over the tank, and are known nippers.

If you are looking for a calmer tank better to get a different species. Rasboras, Tetras, Barbs and others all have calmer species, though a few are nippers.

If you want to keep the tank Asian in theme, then Rasboras and Barbs are mostly Asian.

Cool water fish: Look into the Barbs. Many species are compatible with the Dojo Loaches, as far as temperature goes.
38 tanks, 2 ponds over 4000 liters of water to keep clean and fresh.

Happy fish keeping!

ahmandi2

Seems to be ok still...

Post by ahmandi2 » Fri Oct 22, 2010 11:03 pm

They (the danios) are now acting as a somewhat cohesive unit...there is still chasing but never all on one and it's constantly changing who is chasing whom...heh...so I'm much more comfortable with them. I hope this continues!
What a strange thing..that the number of fish would have such an impact on their behavior...shows what a noob I am :D.
We are still aiming to add more fish and what we're probably going for is a calmer, non aggressive type tetra (I'm shooting for diamond tetras!) and some purple danios, but I'm not sure about those. If not those, then perhaps some guppies just for color :). I love the way the danios look now, so pretty and sparkly silver/gold!~
After that, we'll be full up, and I guess we'll *have* to consider another tank. Aw. Sad....heh!
Thanks again, much appreciated!
Amanda