what is the best way to put down a suffering fish?

The place for all discussions not loach-related concerning freshwater fish keeping. All our members keep other fish so you may benefit from their experience.

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

palaeodave

Post by palaeodave » Sat Oct 30, 2010 7:04 am

Sorry to hear about your fish. I guess it isn't worth trusting that shop again.

Just a comment about clove oil - it shouldn't be at all expensive. You may have bought something that had clove oil as the active ingredient but with some other stuff added. Pure clove oil (which I believe is best for these purposes) should not cost much. Most pharmacies should carry it.

Cloves now smell of fishy death to me. Can't stand them.
"Science is a lot like sex. Sometimes something useful comes of it, but that’s not the reason we’re doing it" ー R Feynman

Angelfish12

Post by Angelfish12 » Sat Oct 30, 2010 8:58 am

Okay, next time i go to the store Ill try to find clove oil. :)

Jim Powers

Post by Jim Powers » Sat Oct 30, 2010 10:18 am

I have used oil of cloves, too and it works well. The fish just go to sleep.
Put the fish in a container of tank water, add about 15 drops of the clove oil per cup of water, wait about 15 minutes and add another 15 drops/cup . The first dose should put the fish to sleep, the second should put it down. Be sure to gently swirl or stir the water so the drops mix well, but do so in a manner that doesn't stress the fish. I usually put the fish in a low light area for the same reason.

Angelfish12

Post by Angelfish12 » Sat Oct 30, 2010 11:27 am

Hmm, thank you this is very helpful :)!

glenna

Post by glenna » Wed Nov 10, 2010 7:51 pm

I have had to do this as well, and I agree with the use of clove oil as a very humane and quite rapid way to stop a dying fish from suffering further.
Also, sadly, I will never enjoy the smell of cloves again....too much associated heartache.
I bought mine - pure clove oil (like from a naturopathic pharmacy) for $10 a small bottle which is more than I hope to ever have to use.
I think it is really worth having on hand. These crises seem to happen on a Sat night, ... or a Holiday. Then you are stuck sitting there, watching your fish, suffering in a bad way, with not a whole lot to offer. I do not think I could do the plastic bag in the freezer thing.
I found the article on the sticky "when all else fails" really helpful.
I mean, you feel embarrassed to admit you have thought about decapitation, or bludgeoning as ways to put the fish down, but most terminal fish diseases are not very kind to our charges, and one gets desperate.
Just glad to have it when I need it, which has not been very often, thankfully.
Please do go and get some.
glenna