rams

The place for all discussions not loach-related concerning freshwater fish keeping. All our members keep other fish so you may benefit from their experience.

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

Angelfish12

rams

Post by Angelfish12 » Sat Oct 23, 2010 9:22 pm

I dont really know anything about rams. I saw some at the petstore every now and than and the german rams are absolutely stunning! I havea few questions though.
1. Are they very aggresive?
2. would they be ok in a planted aquarium?
3. Would they breed if i had a pair?
4. How big would they get?

Any advice os welcome! :)

Thank you,

Kelly

TayHudson

Re: rams

Post by TayHudson » Sun Oct 24, 2010 12:09 am

Angelfish12 wrote:I dont really know anything about rams. I saw some at the petstore every now and than and the german rams are absolutely stunning! I havea few questions though.

Thank you,

Kelly
I have a pair right now. I absolutely adore them. If you want you can PM me and ask some questions.

1. They are very peaceful but can become aggressive if you have a pair and they spawn.
2. They would probably love a planted aquarium.
3. If you have a mature male and female, the right water parameters, etc then yes.
4. My female is 2 1/2" and my male is 3". They don't get bigger than that usually.

They are beautiful fish. I got lucky with the pair I have.

Some questions for you

1. What size tank are you planning on putting them in??
2. What is your stock like in that tank?
3. Do you want them just to breed them?

TayHudson

Re: rams

Post by TayHudson » Sun Oct 24, 2010 12:09 am

Angelfish12 wrote:I dont really know anything about rams. I saw some at the petstore every now and than and the german rams are absolutely stunning! I havea few questions though.

Thank you,

Kelly
I have a pair right now. I absolutely adore them. If you want you can PM me and ask some questions.

1. They are very peaceful but can become aggressive if you have a pair and they spawn.
2. They would probably love a planted aquarium.
3. If you have a mature male and female, the right water parameters, etc then yes.
4. My female is 2 1/2" and my male is 3". They don't get bigger than that usually.

They are beautiful fish. I got lucky with the pair I have.

Some questions for you

1. What size tank are you planning on putting them in??
2. What is your stock like in that tank?
3. Do you want them just to breed them?

Angelfish12

Post by Angelfish12 » Sun Oct 24, 2010 9:16 am

TayHudson
I would like to put them in my 55 gallon aquarium. Im planning on getting 3 or 4 angelfish in a week or so. Right now I have a female and male swordtail, 3 otosinclis's, 3 flying fox, 3 bristlenose plecos, 1 kuhli loach, 2 assasin snails, and i think thats all of them. :)
I wouldnt want them being aggresive if they were a pair, to all my fish. It would be pretty cool though if i had a pair and they did breed.

thanks

Diana

Post by Diana » Sun Oct 24, 2010 12:42 pm

A mated pair will defend their own area of the tank. Mostly they are aggressive to other Rams, flaring, chasing then nipping if the intruder won't go away. Most other species will go away when the Rams chase them. They nest on a flat rock. When the eggs hatch they move the babies to different areas of the tank. They can be shy, and having some other fish such as a school of Tetras, Rasboras or other calm fish can encourage the Rams to come out more.
I think they will be OK with your fish list. I would get more Kuhlies, though, so the single Kuhlie you have will have more of his own kind to play with. Bristlenose Pleco males can be territorial. They will breed in a cave, so set this up away from the Ram's territory.
Angelfish are more mid-tank oriented, so should be fine with Rams in the lower area. Plants will help create more privacy for both species.

Rams are fine, perhaps better in a planted tank. The plants help to define their territory, and this sort of border allows other fish being chased to get out of their way. Plants also improve the water quality in ways that help the Rams to be healthier.

Highly likely, they will try to brees. Optimum conditions include very soft water (GH and KH under 3 German degrees of hardness) and black water such as by having peat moss, oak leaves or Indian Almond Leaves in the water. Some driftwood can also add enough humic acid.

Adults are not bigger than 3" and that includes the fins. Body size closer to 2".

Optimum way to get started:
Have a mature tank (established for at least 6 months), Planted is great.
Buy half a dozen or so juveniles.
Allow them to pair up however they want.
In a 4' long planted tank 2 pair might be OK. I would set up flat rocks at both ends of the tank, and make sure the plants screened these nesting sites from each other.
Watch the behavior. If 1 pair is so aggressive that all the other Rams are hiding in corners, then just keep the one pair. But if 2 pair seem to get along well enough (They mostly ignore each other, or flair their fins without actually fighting) then you might be able to keep 2 pair. Keep an eye on them, and if a pair get more aggressive when they actually have eggs and fry you may still need to get rid of some.

They are willing to breed in a tank as small as 10 gallons, with just a few Rasboras or Tetras. My set up included an Oto, too. The parents would move the fry from one area to another. It was funny to watch. Dad Ram would move the fry from point A to point B and Mom Ram would move them from point B to point A. Never arguing, just each adult taking some fry in their mouth and moving them around the tank.
In anything smaller than about 4' long I would just try 1 pair.
38 tanks, 2 ponds over 4000 liters of water to keep clean and fresh.

Happy fish keeping!

starsplitter7

Post by starsplitter7 » Sun Oct 24, 2010 9:40 pm

I agree. Get more Kuhlies. They need to be with others. THey are not solo fish. :)

Angelfish12

Post by Angelfish12 » Mon Oct 25, 2010 7:23 am

I had them since I was really little, and sad to say, but Ive done some bad thigns to them :(

I use to have 2 more. I guess he would be lonely, ill get some more.