18" tall 55G - Male Betta - Too Deep 4 Betta? Exp Adv N

The place for all discussions not loach-related concerning freshwater fish keeping. All our members keep other fish so you may benefit from their experience.

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

ahmandi2

18" tall 55G - Male Betta - Too Deep 4 Betta? Exp Adv N

Post by ahmandi2 » Sun Oct 24, 2010 3:47 pm

I would like to get some more female bettas eventually and place them in our 55 gallon tank. It's 18" high. someone told me that they'd not be able to handle the depth, that it would kill them. I would of course have plenty of ledgy, hanging plant, leafy area at the surface for them to rest in. I did have 2 females in there and they were FINE with the depth...it was the ich & bacterial infection that killed them...we think.
Anyway, I was also THINKING of putting my male in there instead of a couple of females. Has anyone had betta's in a deep 55 gallon (or more) tank, and how did that go?[
"I'm not *THAT* kind of hunter"

starsplitter7

Post by starsplitter7 » Sun Oct 24, 2010 9:32 pm

One of my Bettas lived in a 29 with lots of plants with no problems. It is as deep as my 55. I have one in my 20 with plants. He always sleeps in the plants.

Crissyloach

Post by Crissyloach » Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:51 am

Go for it. As long as you have hiding places, and plants at the surface, you should be good.

Diana

Post by Diana » Mon Oct 25, 2010 9:02 pm

The problem with deep tanks is when they breed. The male dives down and collects the eggs that fall out of the nest. This is much easier for him if the water is less than a foot deep.
Just for these fish to live in a tank 18" deep is not a problem at all.
38 tanks, 2 ponds over 4000 liters of water to keep clean and fresh.

Happy fish keeping!

ahmandi2

thanks!

Post by ahmandi2 » Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:39 pm

Thank you for the info everyone. I'm thinking of putting him in this weekend; if he doesn't like it then I'll put him back in his private tank :) (no it's not a paper cup)...he lurves his 2.5 gallon and all the fake plants in there )
"I'm not *THAT* kind of hunter"