Proper animal care- pet store issues

The place for all discussions not loach-related concerning freshwater fish keeping. All our members keep other fish so you may benefit from their experience.

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

Crissyloach

Proper animal care- pet store issues

Post by Crissyloach » Mon Oct 25, 2010 9:12 am

I have found maybe 3 people who actually have tanks in my area. I mean if you are working in the fish department, at least educate yourself.

It is sad, because I am seeing people buying thoose 1/2 gallon kits for their betta and I am thinking oh no- not another betta that will be mistreated. At least some stores dont keep their bettas in little cups- they have them in heated, filtered, aquariums. They also give out a sheet of PROPER info and care for the poor fish. I have almost wondered- do they sell theese tiny betta kits just to get more money in the way of not included plants, gravel, heater, filter, and medicine? Because within a month your betta will have fin rot, fungus.... and you will need to medicate- that is unless you treat him/her properly. The male bettas that I have seen being sold at some of the chain stores are almost dead in their little cup- as the females have a nice 5 gallon with FILTERED, HEATED WATER!!! Also, they keep the males at my lfs in a little cupboard, the water to the top of the cup, and them all stacked up- no air.

Then you end up spending 100's of $ on a 4 $ fish, that someone did not give you the correct info on. I have been there- almost wanting to quit the hobby.

Same with the dwarf frogs- "you can keep 2 of them in this 1/4 gallon tank, and change their water 2 times a year and feed them 2 times a week"- I mean they are living things- at least treat them with a bit of respect.
Last edited by Crissyloach on Tue Oct 26, 2010 5:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Crissyloach

Post by Crissyloach » Mon Oct 25, 2010 9:16 am

Oh, and if some people do keep their animals like this, and they are living 'OK,' good luck.

TayHudson

Post by TayHudson » Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:46 am

My Betta Simon has his own 10 gallon, heated, filtered etc. He's spoiled. I will eventually move him into one of the 2 20G long tanks I bought from a friend. I saw one lfs had some of their bettas in those little solo brand cups that you get your salad dressing to go in. It's pathetic.

Crissyloach

Post by Crissyloach » Mon Oct 25, 2010 11:07 am

What! Thoose cups arent very big :shock: (at the store). Its always great to have a good sized aquarium for a betta. :)
Last edited by Crissyloach on Mon Oct 25, 2010 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TayHudson

Post by TayHudson » Mon Oct 25, 2010 12:26 pm

Crissyloach wrote:What! Thoose cups arent very big :shock: (at the store). Its always great to have a good sized aquarium for a betta. :)
Believe me, I know thats too small. I was thinking of possibly dividing one of the 20's for more than one. They could each have 10 gallons. Mine had horrible fin rot when I got him. And his fins are nice an healed now. He also doesn't mind other fish which is awesome. I love him

ahmandi2

Betta Cruelty

Post by ahmandi2 » Mon Oct 25, 2010 12:47 pm

It's gotten hard to go to the petsmart over here, because of that very reason. The horrid conditions of the poor bettas are so brutal. I used to have to avoid the area where they have cats for adoption, because I would pity adopt them all if I could, now, I think i've got the same thing with the fish area, another place I can't go lol...
Well, we all do what we can, right? And any betta who comes home to a loving owner is going to be happier than at the stores or farms...those teeny tanks are so pathetic :(.
"I'm not *THAT* kind of hunter"

Crissyloach

Post by Crissyloach » Mon Oct 25, 2010 2:50 pm

Thoose conditions that they keep them in ARE brutal. In the stores where I live, you never see a female betta in a little cup. Even if there is only one of them. I am also horrified the way people keep their african dwarf frogs. I mean the poor little guys are kept in worse conditions than the bettas sometimes. Dont even get me started on the goldfish.

There is an aquarium shop only for fish, and they actually know what they are talking about. When I look at their bettas, they are flaring, their colors are nice, they have fresh water, they will actully put medicine in a sick bettas tank, and they are active. My 2 most recent bettas from this shop, are actually alive and healthy.

starsplitter7

Post by starsplitter7 » Mon Oct 25, 2010 3:56 pm

In Florida and Georgia the cats at Petsmart are from local shelters. They will be kept until adopted. They are not from the mill. That is the good news.

When I worked at a fish store, I was astounded and amazed that the bettas arrived in ziplock like baggies that were small triangles. From those the cups are mansions. :) THey are tough fish. I bring mine home and put them in 5+ gallons with heaters and filters. My guys are spoiled, healthy and happy.

Crissyloach

Post by Crissyloach » Mon Oct 25, 2010 4:18 pm

I have actually seen the little bags that they come in. They are pretty small.

The cats (and dogs) at our pet store are mostly from breeders..makes you wanna know exactly where they came from. About a month ago, someone dumped 2 cats in a box outside of our local store. :( Yes, it was raining too. Poor lil kitties.

andyroo

Post by andyroo » Mon Oct 25, 2010 5:12 pm

Animal Planet (TV channel) has a bunch of shows that vilify animal cruelty complete with faces and addresses. Write them and get them to do shows on shi.... sorry, substandard pet shops generally, and fish-shops specifically.

It is a harsh commentary on our society that cruelty may be defined and punished in one species and ignored in another. Fish, dolphins, pigs and chickens on one side and dogs, cats and horses on the other, with little or no gray in between.
A
"I can eat 50 eggs !"

arny

Post by arny » Mon Oct 25, 2010 6:22 pm

when I lived in America I was shocked by the conditions that puppies in the pet shops were kept. In England though you cant sell dogs and cats in pet shops any more and about 2 years ago a new law was passed by the RSPCA (SPCA in America) giving fish the same rights as dogs and cats so now people can be prosecuted for cruelty to fish. this law has really helped in educating the public and pet shops a like. just last year a small pet shop owner was fined and put under house arrest for selling a goldfish to a 14 year old (as here you have to be 18 or over to buy a pet).

Crissyloach

Post by Crissyloach » Mon Oct 25, 2010 6:39 pm

I agree that the cruelty to the fish is wrong. People should start to act on this. I saw someone who has a 'healthy' betta. He lives in a small wine glass that is 2-3" tall. They are trying to sell him. The fish is beautiful. He looks like he has fin rot too. He does not look healthy.

Our puppies that are sold at one of the stores are kept in something the size of a 40 gallon fish tank, and they have a 'bed' of shredded paper, which you can almost always find them eating. This is also their 'bathroom', and they have more than one dog in each. This is also what cats are kept in.

It is awful for the fish, cats, and dogs at the store.

ahmandi2

Cruelty to any animal is abhorrent

Post by ahmandi2 » Mon Oct 25, 2010 7:57 pm

And i think that mankind is the only species to practice it.
Small wonder that I *MOSTLY* think people just plain suck.
"I'm not *THAT* kind of hunter"

andyroo

Post by andyroo » Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:23 pm

"The more people I meet, the more I like my dog"
Anon.
"I can eat 50 eggs !"

Crissyloach

Post by Crissyloach » Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:36 am

I was in the aquarium shop, and there are so many dead fish in some of the tanks. THere were bones floating around, and the fish were eating the dead ones...YUCK!!! Theese are not the kind of fish that I was looking for (they were barbs) but you cant help but notice it. :x

Current betta count...Too many. :P