Ammonia 0.25

The place for all discussions not loach-related concerning freshwater fish keeping. All our members keep other fish so you may benefit from their experience.

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

jeep04

Ammonia 0.25

Post by jeep04 » Thu Oct 28, 2010 7:21 pm

I hope you guys can be of help again, in my Geophagus tank the ammonia is up to 0.25 and the only thing thats changed is i added another filter. Do you think there is such a thing as having to much filtration, because on this tank i have a Filstar xp4, emporer 400 and the new filter which i just really wanted to try its a Fluval c4 hob filter. I can't think of anything else thats different. I still do my 20 gallons a week water change, i did start to use Seachem Prime 2 weeks ago when i have always used Api stress coat and i started feeding New Life Spectrum only 1 week ago. Well now i'm really stumped i just checked my other tank and it is the same 0.25 but i did all the same things to this tank as well, added another filter for a total of 3 (2 emp 400 and 1 aqueon 70), using prime and feeding nls foods exclusively. Maybe a bad Api test kit (liquid,not old). I don't know you all have helped me before and your always right, so my fingers are crossed. Thank you very much.
100 gallon with 1 Clown Loach,2 satanoperca leucosticta , 1 geophagus dicrozoster,1 geo pindare, 2 Long finned albino bristlenose. 75gal with single Red Devil

ahmandi2

ammonia

Post by ahmandi2 » Thu Oct 28, 2010 7:28 pm

Are you on a well? I was wondering, if someone bleached out the well (somewhat common here in PA), it might affect your levels...
"I'm not *THAT* kind of hunter"

jeep04

Post by jeep04 » Thu Oct 28, 2010 9:03 pm

Thanks for the reply, but i am on city water which i test once a month and its ok.
100 gallon with 1 Clown Loach,2 satanoperca leucosticta , 1 geophagus dicrozoster,1 geo pindare, 2 Long finned albino bristlenose. 75gal with single Red Devil

Lindsey

Post by Lindsey » Thu Oct 28, 2010 11:32 pm

Prime is known to cause a "false positive" reading for ammonia especially with API tests (so I've heard). Try waiting 24+ hours after a water change, re-test, and see if the ammonia is still at .25. If it is then you may actually have ammonia in the tank, but there's a good chance since it's happening in two cycled tanks that it's just the Prime reacting with the chlormines in your water.

There's some useful info on the FAQs of the Seachem website, where it's explained in more scientific terms. http://www.seachem.com/support/FAQs/Prime.html

starsplitter7

Post by starsplitter7 » Thu Oct 28, 2010 11:32 pm

Prime tests a false positive with API liquid tests, because the Prime doesn't remove the ammonia, but transforms it. This way it is safe for the fish, and it can still be used by the bacteria for food. Usually right after I do a water change, and add Prime, my water will read about a .25. If I test the water before the water change, I get a 0 reading.

Make sure you have lots of air in the water, because Prime can compromise the amount of air in the water.

I bought a Seachem Ammonia sensor that hangs in my tank, and tells me if the ammonia spikes. It lasts a year, and doesn't show the false positive. You can also buy a Prime test kit, but my API works just fine.

starsplitter7

Post by starsplitter7 » Thu Oct 28, 2010 11:33 pm

Whoops! Looks we posted the same answer at the same time.

ahmandi2

Prime & Ammonia Readings

Post by ahmandi2 » Fri Oct 29, 2010 12:05 am

Awesome, I did not know any of this...thanks all
"I'm not *THAT* kind of hunter"

jeep04

Post by jeep04 » Sat Oct 30, 2010 7:50 pm

Thats great to know, sorry it took so long to reply. I went away for a couple days and all i thought about is the darn fish. But they are all ok and the test for ammonia is back in normal levels, i have never heard that before. I wish i would have checked up on the forum while i was away, i might have enjoyed myself a little more knowing it was a false reading. Once again you all are so much help, its nice to have a trusted source for fish knowledge. I'm sure you will be hearing from me more often, as i am setting up a 125 within the next few weeks. It only took a year to convince my lovely wife that they will be much happier fish. Anyway Thank you all very much for your help. :D