BN Pleco Question

The place for all discussions not loach-related concerning freshwater fish keeping. All our members keep other fish so you may benefit from their experience.

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

ahmandi2

BN Pleco Question

Post by ahmandi2 » Mon Nov 01, 2010 9:22 pm

We recently got a bn pleco; smallish - maybe an inch long body. We're wondering how to tell if it's a male or female; and how long it takes for the evidence to show up. It's got two little horns right by its' eyes, but nothing around it's mouth, as of yet. Are those horns indicative of sex?
Thanks!!!
"I'm not *THAT* kind of hunter"

starsplitter7

Post by starsplitter7 » Mon Nov 01, 2010 9:35 pm

Are the "horns" nostrils? Mine show their bristles at about 3", so you havea while to go. The girls general have no bristles or very small ones. The boys can have really impressive bristles.

ahmandi2

Ohhhh

Post by ahmandi2 » Mon Nov 01, 2010 9:36 pm

I think they're nostrils. I guess we'll wait and see, it will be a nice surprise to wait a while for...lol...
too bad I can't knit fish booties, blue and pink, boy or girl....

starsplitter7

Post by starsplitter7 » Mon Nov 01, 2010 9:41 pm

I would be doing a lot of knitting. :) I have a hundred or more right now. That put such a funny image in ym head. :)

ahmandi2

lol ;)

Post by ahmandi2 » Mon Nov 01, 2010 9:47 pm

I wish we were closer together. I'd really love to see your babies. And perhaps purchase some at some point.
I hope my guy lives a long long time, he is super cool :)

starsplitter7

Post by starsplitter7 » Mon Nov 01, 2010 9:52 pm

You wouldn't need to buy them. They are free to a good home. :) When you find out what you have, get a couple more. Mine get along fine. Boys can be territorial with other boys if the tank is too small.

ahmandi2

Running out of room...

Post by ahmandi2 » Mon Nov 01, 2010 10:02 pm

We're starting to love these bottom dwellers so much, I'm afraid we're goign to run out of room...
55G 3 golden dojos, 1 BN pleco, 1 Male Betta, 8 Danios.....
Too much?

starsplitter7

Post by starsplitter7 » Mon Nov 01, 2010 10:08 pm

Doesn't sound like too much for me. Plus my Dojos sleep all over the tank. Give them some floating plants, and they will sleep at the top. Have you had them eat from your fingers yet? Mine whisker my fingers.

ahmandi2

Goldens

Post by ahmandi2 » Mon Nov 01, 2010 10:17 pm

They are still really leary of me...the one we've had for a couple of months isn't usually freaked out when I walk by anymore, but the other two new ones are. Rarely can I even drop worms in the tank if they are on the top, it will scare them right back down...
My betta, however, will jump out of the water to take food from my fingers :). It's very cute.
Once the dojos are more comfortable with me, I will try hand feeding them :).

starsplitter7

Post by starsplitter7 » Mon Nov 01, 2010 10:29 pm

I hold the worms in my hand and stand very still. My smallest Clown will try to wrest the cube from my fingers, the dojos all whisker me, my killie bites me ( figure he's doing it on purpose). Even my eels will take the worms from my fingers. :) I wouldn't try it with my tiretrack, because if she misses, I am in trouble.

Crissyloach

Post by Crissyloach » Mon Nov 01, 2010 10:38 pm

Most of my fish do something weird. My bettas will eat food from my fingers, my neons will ram into my hand if I put it in the water (my neons are tiny so it feels weird), and my b. ram will tell me when she is hungry. I have a little plate in the tank, and she will wait above it untill she gets her food. :)

BTW fish booties would be pretty cute! :lol:

Current betta count...Too many. :P