Waterproof glue for wood

The place for all discussions not loach-related concerning freshwater fish keeping. All our members keep other fish so you may benefit from their experience.

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

andyroo

Waterproof glue for wood

Post by andyroo » Fri Nov 05, 2010 12:08 pm

Is there a glue or filler that can be applied to wood on land and will remain in place and/or stuck for a while (>24 months) underwater ?
I need to fill some cracks and cover some steel nails on some hardwood planters. Am hoping that good ol' (cheep) hot-glue will do it, but not too fussed. Might even just use (non-toxic) boat-paint for the hidden bits ;)
A
"I can eat 50 eggs !"

chefkeith

Post by chefkeith » Fri Nov 05, 2010 12:17 pm

silicone sealant
epoxy putty
super glue

andyroo

Post by andyroo » Fri Nov 05, 2010 1:18 pm

Keith! Just the man I wanted to hear from!
So hot-glue is out. Fair enough. Silicone was option #2, but will it stick to (raw/rough, but clean) wood?
Will silicone work to stick an air-stone to wood?

How about these liquid-nail-type deals?
A
"I can eat 50 eggs !"

chefkeith

Post by chefkeith » Fri Nov 05, 2010 2:57 pm

I never worked with hot glue, so I don't know much about it. If I had it, I'd probably give a try.

Marine paint sounds promising too.

Not sure on the results with bonding an air-stone to raw wood. I would think that the raw wood would need to be waterproofed 1st if it needs to last for a few years.

andyroo

Post by andyroo » Fri Nov 05, 2010 10:35 pm

Having it/them built out of a proper tropical hardwood called Broadleaf (Terminalia latifolia) which is reputed to be bulletproof in water. Our kitchen counter is made of the stuff- fantastic. It took two of us to lug a 7' 2x12 up one flight of stairs and it took two car-jacks to squeeze it into place as it was a tiny bit warped when it came in.
My worry is that the screws used are big, dark, ugly and of cheap steel, and the joints aren't pretty either so I'd like to a) waterproof (somewhat) the screw-heads and glue back-up the joints, as well as sealing some excessive gaps and stick these air-stones to the insides.

Looking to include some larger pleco species (royal, mango) and snails in the eventual system, so trying not to coat or cover the wood on the outside... where I can get away with it.
A
"I can eat 50 eggs !"

Diana

Post by Diana » Sat Nov 06, 2010 2:36 am

If the screws are countersunk, then some things may work pretty well because the sunken heads have some wood around them for whatever you use to cling to. If the screw heads are sort of protruding I think stuff won't stick too well.

I would keep looking into glues and putty sorts of things, and looking at marine supplies is probably best. Boat builders will know of something, I am sure!
38 tanks, 2 ponds over 4000 liters of water to keep clean and fresh.

Happy fish keeping!

plaalye

Post by plaalye » Sat Nov 06, 2010 11:39 am

I'm a little confuzed, these planters are meant to hold water? And fish??
I'd think about replacing the cheap screws with stainless if you want it to last, and look into west System Epoxy. Great stuff! Many exotic hardwoods have high oil content, hense their water resistance. You may have to wipe it down with acetone before gluing?

andyroo

Post by andyroo » Sat Nov 06, 2010 1:32 pm

They're plant pots for lilies to go into a pond that will have fish. Once I set the geotextile I'll forward some photos. I've posted on the project here and there on this forum and others.
This wood isn't shiny or greasy like teak or cedar, it's just dense. Lovely stuff as well. It's (closely) related to Indian almond, so the hope is that the wood has the same antibacterial properties as its cousin's leaves.
If these work out I reckon I'll get two long skinny ones made for my own aquarium.... though that will probably require a bigger aquarium....
Now there's a good excuse ;)
A
"I can eat 50 eggs !"

andyroo

Post by andyroo » Mon Nov 08, 2010 3:25 pm

Pattex?
Pretty waterproof, correct colour, readily available and reasonably inexpensive...
Mainly a question of toxicity.
A
"I can eat 50 eggs !"

aiko73

there it is..

Post by aiko73 » Tue Nov 09, 2010 12:49 am

hmm maybe you could use something transparent and odorless.. just don't know which is compatibly hehehe lol :D

clint

Post by clint » Tue Nov 09, 2010 3:58 pm

I'd go and try Gorilla Glue. Its a moisture cured glue. Which means it needs moisture to cure. It bonds near everything, i'd clamp your pieces and glue away.