Easily clogged Marineland filter pads

The place for all discussions not loach-related concerning freshwater fish keeping. All our members keep other fish so you may benefit from their experience.

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

Jim Powers

Easily clogged Marineland filter pads

Post by Jim Powers » Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:07 pm

I have been having problems with the filter pads on all my Marineland filters (Eclipse, Penguin and Emperor). The company has changed the filter floss to a type that clogs much easier and is more difficult to rinse.
This drastically reduces the life of these filter pads.
I have contacted the company but they have basically blown me off.
First they told me that the material on the pads I had were cut from the end of a role of filter floss. They offered to replace them. When I emailed back with the type and number of pads, they never responded. I waited some time, and emailed them again, but never heard from them again.
That is certainly no way to treat someone who has purchased many Marineland products.
Has anyone else had similar problems with this brand of filter pads?

Kush

Post by Kush » Mon Nov 08, 2010 11:58 pm

Jim, I found a Aquaclear 70 in great shape. If you wanna PM me your address and pay for shipping, it's yours.

I love these filter's. They make it very easy for DIY insert's.

Don't mean to derail your thread. :wink:
If sucess or failure of this planet and of human beings depended on how I am and what I do. How would I be? What would I do?

Jim Powers

Post by Jim Powers » Tue Nov 09, 2010 5:38 am

Thanks for the offer, but I really don't need another filter, just pads that don't clog too easily. I'm actually thinking of making my own filter pads instead of buying the crappy ones Marineland is making these days.

andyroo

Post by andyroo » Tue Nov 09, 2010 7:50 am

I make my own- essentially wrap the central mesh post in foam or floss mat/geotextile or both. Water is crystal, is cheap, rinses easily but still clogs quickly, if not worse then before.
The tinkering continues....

ps: I've never been satisfied with these Marineland canisters, but somehow I've managed to accumulate 4 of them over the years... so I'm stuck, unless I want to start from scratch.
"I can eat 50 eggs !"

chefkeith

Post by chefkeith » Tue Nov 09, 2010 3:20 pm

I usually cut off all the old dirty floss from the cartridge with a razor knife, then attach some new floss to it with some rubberbands. The floss I use is polyester quilt batting.

glenna

Post by glenna » Tue Nov 09, 2010 9:39 pm

I do the same as chefkeith, but am thinking about redoing the way I modify them.
I think the Marineland filter cartidges are too expensive anyway, and I do not feel that I need to use carbon all the time.

right now, I get those big filter pad sheets and cut it to size (blue on one side, white on the other - MArineland Rite-size bonded filter pad) ) tear it between the layers and place the plastic frame BETWEEN the layers, then use zip ties to hold it in place. This fits right in the filter box and works well. The bad thing about this is that you need a lot of zip ties (I several of these filters!), and it does take some time to rig it together.
I wish I could use a sandwitch type frame (like one that you clip together, with the filter pad between the pieces of plastic) but have not found something that will fit in the sizeC slot on my penguin biowheel filter boxes.
As is so often the case with this hobby, I think I will have to make my own, but have not had time.
glenna

glenna

Post by glenna » Tue Nov 09, 2010 9:42 pm

oh, and I have used the same filter pad material in my Filstar XP4 canister. I just cut it to fit and use it instead of the microfiltration pads that you can buy. I foundthat this filterpad ALSO clogged quickly and this was intefereing with the function of the filter.
My water is very clear and I change that filter fad maybe every other week.
glenna

loachmom

Post by loachmom » Wed Nov 10, 2010 9:38 am

I use a basket like this one in my penguin350. I use two of them, actually. :)

http://www.google.com/products/catalog? ... CsQ8wIwAg#

My baskets look a little different than the one pictured.

I bought a black filter sponge that I cut to fit in the cartridge, and I just occasionally open the cartridge and rinse the sponge. It has worked well for years and has saved me lots of money.

My basket works perfectly in place of a C filter cartridge.
A person's a person no matter how small.
Dr. Seuss

glenna

Post by glenna » Wed Nov 10, 2010 7:22 pm

WOW, that is brilliant!
That is EXACTLY what I am looking for.
AND I like using the reusable sponge idea.
I will definitely be adding this on to my next order.

thanks!
glenna