Carbon or not?

The place for all discussions not loach-related concerning freshwater fish keeping. All our members keep other fish so you may benefit from their experience.

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

Crissyloach

Carbon or not?

Post by Crissyloach » Thu Nov 11, 2010 9:51 am

I have been reading that using carbon is not necessary. Most people do not even change it in time, so they do not have it working anyway. It may remove odor, and discoloration, but with water changes this shouldn't be a problem anyway. It can also be harmful to the fish, causing HLLE (head and lateral erosion) and can remove nutrients from the water. My question- is it necessary? Do you use it?

Quote from aquaticcommunity- "In summary carbon is an unnecessary and even harmful media that does not need to be used in the aquarium except for short-term applications such as removing medications. When choosing a filter pick one with customizable media that do not require you to use carbon. Avoid those that provide hybrid cartridges that include carbon built in to mechanical media. When using customizable filters use more biological media in place of the carbon."

Current betta count...Too many. :P

loachmom

Post by loachmom » Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:04 am

I only use it for removing meds. :)

Since I don't use it, my water is colored with tannins, but that's ok with me (and my fish ;) )
A person's a person no matter how small.
Dr. Seuss

Crissyloach

Post by Crissyloach » Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:29 am

Most of the time I can tell that my carbon is in the filter too long because the water is yellow. I am thinking wow, I just put in new carbon 2 weeks ago...I don't care. The fish don't care. If it is not necessary then why are they selling it to us as something you 'must' use 24/7? Simply to make money. You only really need it for removing medicine.

Current betta count...Too many. :P

Oldfish

Post by Oldfish » Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:28 pm

I must agree that carbon is not nessesary.I stopped using it over 40 years ago.I just backwash the filters and do a 20-40% water change weekly.Keeps it easy and simple.

Diana

Post by Diana » Thu Nov 11, 2010 9:50 pm

I also keep carbon around just for removing meds. Have not run it regularly for many years.
38 tanks, 2 ponds over 4000 liters of water to keep clean and fresh.

Happy fish keeping!