betta breeding failed

The place for all discussions not loach-related concerning freshwater fish keeping. All our members keep other fish so you may benefit from their experience.

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

Angelfish12

betta breeding failed

Post by Angelfish12 » Sun Nov 14, 2010 7:22 pm

Well the title says it all. I was so excited today becuase my male finally finished his buble nest. I conditioned both of them for 2 weeks woth bloodworms and good quality flakes. The female was fat with eggs and her ovipositor was sticking out and I was sure they were ready to breed, so i released her in with the male betta. I sat there for 2 hours watching him chase her and bite at her. She didn't get hurt, but she was a little stressed. I ended up putting her back in her container inside the 10 gallon. I have no idea why It didnt work? Does it usually take longer? I guess the male wasn't ready to breed. I had my sponge filter on low, and it was like that for 2-3 days when they were in seperate containers.. I also found out why my male didnt want to make a buble nest. He didnt like the sponge filter, so when I turned it off, he started making a HUGE buble nest.

by the way, she was actually not aggresive at all with the male. She hid and ran from him. He was the really aggresive one.Does anyone know why it didnt work?

Thank you Kelly

starsplitter7

Post by starsplitter7 » Sun Nov 14, 2010 10:28 pm

I am sorry it didn't work out. I am sure they will figure it out.

Were they in visual view during conditioning?

ahmandi2

Try again!

Post by ahmandi2 » Sun Nov 14, 2010 11:57 pm

Wow I'm sorry that it didn't work...but try again! I hear a lot of the same thing. So, maybe try again and give them more time together...you know the way it should go, once they're together, so maybe just give em a longer time together, if she has places to hide (which it sounds like she does :), he might be too inexperienced, her too. I'd keep trying, and when they are apart but conditioning, let them see each other...
have you heard of people having the female placed in a jar, in the males tank. The jar is almost level with the waters top; and I've heard that once she's "ready" and he's built his nest and flared at her for a while, she'll hop out on her own, to get to work!! :)
Either way, please keep us posted. It's exciting!!
"I'm not *THAT* kind of hunter"