Aquarium safe paint

The place for all discussions not loach-related concerning freshwater fish keeping. All our members keep other fish so you may benefit from their experience.

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

Ashleigh

Aquarium safe paint

Post by Ashleigh » Mon Jan 10, 2011 5:21 am

Do any of you guys know of aquarium safe paint in the UK? or Ireland. At the aquarium we are redoing one of our displays and want to paint the old concrete wall (its paint job needs redone) I cant find a paint so far, apart from pond paint but its a bit much for what we want. Anyone have any ideas?

Ashleigh

andyroo

Re: Aquarium safe paint

Post by andyroo » Mon Jan 10, 2011 4:15 pm

One of the 2-part Epoxys would be the way. Can also use some (heavy-duty) boat paints.
Also think about adding a pigment to an Epoxy or Polyvinyl waterproof (boat) top-coat. It'll act like a paint, but be much much tougher. Stay away from Polyester resins- they aren't always as waterproof as you'd expect.
A
"I can eat 50 eggs !"

palaeodave

Post by palaeodave » Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:04 pm

Are you able to contact other aquariums to find out what they've used in similar circumstances? London aquarium did a massive refurb a year or two ago, so may have recent experience with this.
"Science is a lot like sex. Sometimes something useful comes of it, but that’s not the reason we’re doing it" ー R Feynman

Ashleigh

Post by Ashleigh » Wed Jan 12, 2011 5:25 am

Cheers guys, Yep contacted other aquariums, their systems are different so couldnt give me a product type they used. We dont have a large water volume turnover and they do. I managed to get sorted with some sort of pool Seal, which is ideal :)

Cheers for the help!

Ashleigh