Dritfwood Display tank

The place for all discussions not loach-related concerning freshwater fish keeping. All our members keep other fish so you may benefit from their experience.

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

chris1932

Dritfwood Display tank

Post by chris1932 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 12:38 am

Four years ago set up a 150 gallon extra tall tank. The tank was on sale so getting it was a surprise purchase. I had no plan other than getting it set up pronto.
I had built a stand for 8 end out 15s and in my rush I used that stand for the extra tall. I didnt discover that my stand was an inch and a half too wide until I had moved fish around and there was no turning back.
Have you ever loved and hated something at the same time? I loved the size of the tank. I hated the way it was set up.
This is how it looked during its first few months
In the begining there were a mixed bag of fish in the tank. Over time its had Angels, Geophagus, Discus, Wild Angels in it. The only fish that ever lived in the tank long term were two Biotodoma Cupido.
I ended up moving big tanks around and setting up more but the 150 extra tall remained in a state of flux. I wanted to make it really nice but it was lacking something. Among the things I was unhappy with besides the stand were the background, I had painted a sheet of paper black. It looked good for a week then started wrinkling from humidity.
Another tank sale and suddenly I had another 150 extra tall. This one I had a plan for. It was going to be an angel fish habitat tank for Peruvian Black spotted angelfish. I had the group of fish for a few months and I had a plan. Find some really tall wood, something with sticks so that it would appear as though it was a steep riverbank. I had seen some habitat pictures and thats how I wanted the tank to look. I took my time and found the right wood and parts, slowly the tank went up and within the first two months my group of angels that moved in were laying eggs.
This is what that tank looked like during month three. I was tickled with how it looked and how everything worked. I made a heater module that doubles as a Co2 chamber, the tank also has a full stream UV. I spend almost no time working on this tank. Its pretty trouble free.
This is what the two tanks "the twins" look like side by side
When you see the two side by side the first thing I always noticed was that the angel tank was .25 inches higher, and the other stand was too wide and unpainted. I had to fix it but I didnt have the time or space to move the fish and straighten everything out. I also didnt have a plan yet.
ACA 2009 changed all that. Upon walking to the registration room I passed by this.
It was breathtaking! Like seeing a beautiful woman for the first time. I had too have it. Lucky for me I had 15 tanks of fish for sale. By Saturday a deal was struck and the chore of getting it back to Pa started. I also now knew what my plan for the 150 was going to be.
Time passed and work, cars, and other fish stuff always had me doing other stuff so the dream wood sat on my back porch getting a nice weatherd finish. Last year it got Christmas decorated, it holds a beer bottle in the summer perfectly.
As luck would have it I ended up with another 150 this one a 72x18x27. At the same time I had taken down three 50 breeders so I had a big stand that was empty. All along I had been doing small stuff to try and be ready.
Things like pulling the substrate and potting the plants made life easy when the big switch came.

IMF non contact flow sensing switch
First cuts
All cuts made, wood drilled and pinned in place
Rough sized pins
This is the modified stand fitting snug, level and painted
The wood cut down to size and ready to get back in the tank, the tank was painted on three sides with Krylon Espresso brown.

Heat Co2, I was still welding new fittings on my UV light
After plumbing filtration were installed and started
A better view of utilities
Manual and automatic water change valves
I finished adding plant substrate and performed a 90 gallon water change
All of the swordplants and Vals had been potted in the tank proir to its takedown. I pruned and spiffied up the plants before they were rooted in the tank. I intend to let these plants expand and see how things fill out. My hope is that the Vals take off and crowd in the left side of the tank.
After a day of running I put the cap sand over the plant substrate. I got a few bags of this fine carmel colored sand from Mark at Anubias Design, it is by far the nicest texture and colored substrate I have used.

So Its almost done. My Nahmunda Discus will move back home when everything is just right. The moral of this post is its better to have a plan.
Hello all from Happy River
I have lost count of how many tanks I have

starsplitter7

Re: Dritfwood Display tank

Post by starsplitter7 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:46 am

Thank you for posting this. It is so cool seeing the progression. What a gorgeous piuece of driftwood.

hx

Post by hx » Fri Jan 14, 2011 10:18 am

Inspiring! Thank you!
"There is no name for what I'm going to be when I get big."
-Tom Robbins
planethx
Mudskipper tank

chris1932

Post by chris1932 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 10:34 am

Thank You. I am slowly adding the stock of fish to the tank. So far L-129 and Corydoras Duplicareus are in the tank. Next will be Cardinals, then Discus

Martin Thoene
Location: Toronto.....Actually, I've been on LOL since September 1998

Post by Martin Thoene » Sat Jan 15, 2011 2:03 pm

Very impressive stuff as usual Chris. Great to see you back :D Those are some nice tanks.

Chris also builds other cool stuff like this:

I "stole" it from his garage and "drove" it to Bonneville in Photoshop 8)

Martin.
Image Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated.

palaeodave

Post by palaeodave » Sat Jan 15, 2011 5:23 pm

That really is a gorgeous piece of wood and I'm sure the tank is going to be spectacular but...why did you cut it down?! Surely that wood deserved a bigger tank so you didn't have to lose any of it!
"Science is a lot like sex. Sometimes something useful comes of it, but that’s not the reason we’re doing it" ー R Feynman

chris1932

Post by chris1932 » Mon Jan 17, 2011 12:04 pm

I wish I could have but with a tiny staircase leading to the basement the 150xt is about the largest tank I can manipulate onto the landing and then down the steps. The great news is that C. duplicareus have laid eggs all over the tank.

Martin if you ever make it down this way you are welcome to the keys for awhile

papaloach

Post by papaloach » Mon Jan 17, 2011 4:16 pm

Love the set-up of the tanks :)

cider

Post by cider » Fri Jan 28, 2011 1:47 am

nice job and yeah , wow , awesome wood ! I can see why you couldn't pass it up :D

Your'e right about having a plan. Plenty times I have had an idea in my mind but dimensions and so many other things come into play...yep ....gotta have a plan :)

oh, did I tell you I love the wood :mrgreen: :lol: G
cider

gryphon

Post by gryphon » Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:37 pm

Your driftwood is a piece of art! With something that spectacular you don't need a plan---that is the plan!
What do you use to pin the pieces together that is fish-safe? Do they need to be glued as well?
I just ordered a bunch of driftwood from Amazon Moosey to redesign my tanks so seeing your tanks has inspired me. Thanks for sharing the progress on them.

Barracuda518

Post by Barracuda518 » Sun Feb 06, 2011 12:13 am

Very impressive. A lot of hard work led to beautiful tank.

I also think driftwood is a must in any tank.

:mrgreen:

Graeme Robson

Post by Graeme Robson » Sun Feb 06, 2011 1:15 pm

Gorgeous!!! 8)

itsjoe

Post by itsjoe » Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:49 am

How inspiring! those tanks are beautiful, I just love how green the plants are and how the water is crystal clear.. I have only got a 20 gallon tank myself but want something bigger to do something like that with!

How much did that 150 gal tank set you back? I would imagine a hell of a lot, especially with the filter and Co2 unit... Maybe i will start slower and move to a 40gal tank or something similar first :(

zenins

Post by zenins » Sat Feb 12, 2011 11:55 am

Thanks for sharing, I love seeing the progression of the aquarium :)

Some of my aquariums have not changed in 7 years ... maybe this summer I will change up a tank or two for fun :D
Zenin