Garra flavatra (Panda garras)

The place for all discussions not loach-related concerning freshwater fish keeping. All our members keep other fish so you may benefit from their experience.

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

starsplitter7

Garra flavatra (Panda garras)

Post by starsplitter7 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:38 am

My fish club had a fish auction this weekend, and I think I get the best deal at the auction. I got 4 baby Pandas for $5. They are about 1 inch. I have them in my guppy/shrimp tank, and they are all playing king of the hill on the smooth river rocks in the tank.

Does anyone have any advice on feeding them? I have been using frozen bbs. I think I may smear a concoction (eggwhites and fish food -- recommended by planetcatfish for rock sucking catfish) on the rocks and see if that is something they may be interested in.

These are the cutest fish.

The first thing I did was seal all the holes in the tank, and tried to block the flow from the filter. I don't want them escaping.
Last edited by starsplitter7 on Mon Jan 24, 2011 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

piggy4

Re: Garra flavatra (Panda garras)

Post by piggy4 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:54 pm

Just mke sure the lid is tightly fitted because Panda Garras are very inquisitive when in their new surroundings :!:

Jim Powers

Post by Jim Powers » Mon Jan 24, 2011 3:34 pm

That is a great find at a great price!! You will really enjoy them.
I've found they aren't picky at all. They really like algae wafers, and other pelleted foods as well as frozen bloodworms and brine shrimp. They will also eat flakes that make their way to the bottom.
Now how about some pics.
And remember, just a few days ago you were commenting on the fact that I had them...and now so do you. :wink:

starsplitter7

Post by starsplitter7 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 4:53 pm

Never in my wildest dreams did I expect to find those fish at auction. I also may be able to get four more from a friend who bid on them. (He thought they were algae eaters.) That means I would have 8. They are 3/4-1", so they are tiny. I need to start planning on a tank for them. I am so relieved to hear that they may not be as difficult to feed as I thought. I want to make sure they are well fed, happy and healthy.

Are yours breeding? I have heard rumors that they do breed in tanks. Do yours live in a hillstream tank? You yours like to visit your hands when you are cleaning the tank?

I have them as secure as I can make the tank. I hope it will be enough.

Thanks for both replies. :)

Jim Powers

Post by Jim Powers » Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:02 pm

Mine are not breeding, but I have heard of that happening.
I have some in with hillstreams and others in with botias, parobotias, Mesonemechilus triangularis, and sids. No problems with any of the other fish. I had heard that they feed on shrimp and do wonder if that's the case because the shrimp populations in the tanks I have them, seem to be in check, or even reduced a bit. They are probably feeding on the young shrimp instead of the adults.
I have not had them mess with my hands at cleaning time, but it wouldn't surprise me.
Mine seem to have gotten a bit more reclusive and skittish as they have gotten larger, though. They do grow fast, by the way.
As for your friend thinking they are algae eaters, I find them to be very good at that. They cleared off areas in the tanks early on, but don't seem as interested in doing that now.

starsplitter7

Post by starsplitter7 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:22 pm

Thanks for all the info. I always find personal experience more helpful in fish keeping than what you read about fish. I also know the fish haven't been reading the info and don't always do what is written about them.

My friend thought the garras would be exclusive algae eaters, and what I have read is they are omnivores and eat algae as they graze for other stuff, but maybe that's not the case. In any case, his tanks are all open at the top and connected by bridges. I don't think the garras would stay in the tanks very long. I think they would crawl right out.

I'll enjoy them as spunky little creatures while they are young, if they become reclusive as they age. Thanks for letting me know they grow fast. I will remember that so that I can make sure I have the right tank for them. I have two tanks with power jets where they should do okay when they get older.

What temp do you keep them at?

Jim Powers

Post by Jim Powers » Mon Jan 24, 2011 6:29 pm

They may be a little more reclusive than they used to be, but mine are still spunky!! They go crazy when the food goes in the water.
I keep mine in the mid 70's F. and they do love a good flow.
Now where are those pics!! :wink:

NancyD

Post by NancyD » Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:07 pm

Wow, what a great buy! I got 4 but 1.5 years later only have 1, they were much larger, 2.5-3 inches or so (dropsy type deaths). My remaining 1 is always front & center & will hand feed once in a while, especially frozen bloodworms. He lives with histrionica & denisonii barbs, very bossy to the barbs. He loves flake & frozen foods. A great fish but there was some fighting when I had them all, it didn't seem to serious. I have them in a 55g with a rena XP3, AC 70 & powerhead so only a "riverish" tank. A fish I'd like more of, so "personable".

starsplitter7

Post by starsplitter7 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:47 pm

I'll work on a picture. They are so small I think I would need a macro lens.

I know I will love these guys. I like personality fish. I am thrilled. Nancy, I am sorry to hear you had difficulties with them. I will do my best to keep them healthy.

starsplitter7

Post by starsplitter7 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:49 pm

Today, I received four more, probably their siblings. They are all the same age, so now I have 8 for $5. I am very lucky. They are all in quarantine together psuhing on the rocks. I will have them in different tanks as they grow a little. It will be wonderful to have them in the tanks.

Emma Turner

Post by Emma Turner » Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:44 pm

Congratulations on finding panda garras at last, Tanja! :mrgreen: You will love them. Graeme was the first person in the UK to breed this species. Can't seem to find his old thread on here (have searched and searched) but I did find a link to when he posted on the PFK forum a few years ago, that might be of interest:
http://forum.practicalfishkeeping.co.uk ... hp?t=32279
Emma
East of the Sun, West of the Moon.

Graeme Robson

Post by Graeme Robson » Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:48 pm

Selective memorys for some but this was a great time!! PM me if you want more info on breeding these. :wink:

starsplitter7

Post by starsplitter7 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:40 pm

Those are incredibly cute. Mine are about that big, and as far as I can trace these are from a group that were bred locally. I will enjoy watching them grow up. Thanks so much for posting the link. That is a great story.

Some of my posts are gone too. I figured either the search doesn't work properly or some messages were lost coming over to the new system.

Jim Powers

Post by Jim Powers » Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:45 pm

Oh yeah, that was you, Graeme! 8)