Adorable Native Darter

The place for all discussions not loach-related concerning freshwater fish keeping. All our members keep other fish so you may benefit from their experience.

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

starsplitter7

Adorable Native Darter

Post by starsplitter7 » Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:12 pm

I am thrilled to be the proud owner of a Florida native darter. I got this guy for free from a feeder tank. He lives with my trio of Peacock Loaches in the nursery tank. Very cute.

Laura

Re: Adorable Native Darter

Post by Laura » Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:33 pm

He's very pretty - I like his subtle markings.

starsplitter7

Post by starsplitter7 » Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:46 pm

He came to live with me on Tuesday. He should look a bit better when he has eaten well. They are very subtle fish. He is very cute propped on his pectorals. I always look in feeder tanks for interesting fish. I have found Blue Finned Killies (another FL Native), Whisker shrimp, kuhlies and darters. And some larve like dragon fly.

Matt

Post by Matt » Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:35 am

Very nice! We almost never see this stuff in Europe. Hoping to get some Lucania goodei soon but would love to keep some Etheostoma or Percina at some point.

Jim Powers

Post by Jim Powers » Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:09 am

I see these occasionally in with feeders, too. I have been tempted. :D
There are also a number of local darter species I have been tempted to keep, but they would need to be kept cooler than I can provide at this time.

starsplitter7

Post by starsplitter7 » Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:27 pm

That's really funny, Mat, because the Lucania goodei are the Blue Finned Killies I got at auction last weekend. I got 3 males nad 4 females. I used to get them in as feeders all the time, and thought they were minnows. I took them home, because I didn't want them to be feeders.

Jim, whenever you see the darters, take them home. :) If you see the killies take them too. :) They are such cool fish, require virtually no care, and don't deserve to be feeders. I will keep looking in feeder tanks. I would love to have a tank full of darters.

With my fish club, I hope to go on collecting trips. I will post pictures of what we find (besides alligators!). :)

Jim Powers

Post by Jim Powers » Sat Jan 29, 2011 10:29 am

I have seen the killies and almost did take them home, but one of the fish store employees was planning to taking them so I was just glad they got a good home.

Noto

Post by Noto » Sat Jan 29, 2011 10:52 am

Looks like Etheostoma fusiforme, which is the darter I usually find in the feeder tanks. If you find larger, vertically banded killies they are probably Fundulus seminolis. The F. seminolis are a bit more aggressive than the bluefins.

E. fusiforme is unusual for a darter in that it does well in warm, still water. A lot of the other species would do well in the same conditions as hillstream loaches; I'm surprised the combo isn't tried more often. I certainly intend to try it when I get a large stream tank set up.

starsplitter7

Post by starsplitter7 » Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:11 pm

Jim, as long as they get a good home. :) I totally understand. I am happy when they let me have them. We have lots of killiefish enthusiasts, and they breed all sorts of them.

The killies I got at auction, but the darter was a freebie from the feeder tank. I was pretty thrilled.