Breeding Vietnamese White Clouds

The place for all discussions not loach-related concerning freshwater fish keeping. All our members keep other fish so you may benefit from their experience.

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

Jim Powers

Breeding Vietnamese White Clouds

Post by Jim Powers » Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:40 pm

Does anyone have any experience breeding Vietnamese White Clouds?
I have some in my main river tank, but just got another batch the other day and put them in a 10 gallon tank heavily planted with java fern, crypts, java moss and riccia. It has a fair amount of current and no heater.
Any suggestions on how to get them to spawn or will they take care of that themselves.

ch.koenig

Re: Breeding Vietnamese White Clouds

Post by ch.koenig » Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:43 pm

hi Jim
they are on my list but I didn't try yet. a breeder told me that' it's like t. albonubes. this one is my "piece de resistance". tried it long ago and wasn't successful :twisted:
so in theorie: a small tank as you wrote it, put a male and two females or a pair in - after good feeding - after two or three days and a water change it should come to spawning. seperate the adults from the fry. and that's it.
cheers Charles

piggy4

Post by piggy4 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:39 pm

Jim ,it might be worth putting the tank near a window a lot of Cyprinids appreciate the early morning sun !

Jim Powers

Post by Jim Powers » Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:06 pm

Thanks!The tank is near a window, so hopefully that will help. I don't really plan on doing too much except maybe increase the water changes a little and let them do their thing.

Ruhig Blut

Post by Ruhig Blut » Thu Feb 17, 2011 3:58 am

Hi Jim,

I don't have them, so I don't have my own experience with them. But the one thing I heard from other breeders is that there mustn't be any snails in the tank! The eggs seem to taste very good and aren't snail-resistant at all. The same goes for shrimp also.

Ingo
I try to tolerate everything - but intolerance!

Jim Powers

Post by Jim Powers » Sun Mar 20, 2011 6:43 pm

I just did a small water change in the heavily planted 10 gallon that is housing some of the Vietnamese White Clouds. I scooped out about a gallon of water instead of using a Python as I normally do. I had carefully checked each scoop (or so I thought) but when I looked into the bucket, I saw a very small fry. I got it out and back into the tank and checked one more time, and found another. They are so tiny I almost missed them. The adults have been hiding in the month since I got them so I was very surprised to see they had apparently spawned!!! Now I wonder about the rest I have in one of my river tanks. I certainly hope I get a self sustaining colony out of this. :D

Crissyloach

Post by Crissyloach » Sun Mar 20, 2011 9:05 pm

Congratz!!!!!! :)

Current betta count...Too many. :P