Happy fish keeping!
so what you do is get some 3% hydrogen peroxide and a one mil eye dropper and spot treat the algae directly in the aquarium. once the black brush is in your aquarium it use to be impossible to get rid of.
They recommended not exceeding 3ml of hydrogen peroxide per gallon. I played it safe and did not exceed 1ml per gallon. I only needed to use about 5ml total because i wanted to test this out.
all is good. Some important things to remember is, turn the filters off and do a 20% water change 30mins after the treatment. also important to not just dump it in the tank but rather to spot treat with the eye dropper.
after the water change it's fine to turn the filter/filters back on. the reason for this is to not blow the peroxide away while treating. you will know it's working because you will see the algae fizzing. the reason it is safe is because once the peroxide goes in to the water it creates a chemical reaction and turnes into oxygen. this is another reason why it is crucial to spot treat, so that it touches the algae before the chemical conversion. I have a fully planted community 70gal aquarium and all inhabitants are fine and the black brush algae is turning colours and dying. the shrimp are eating it away now.
If all else fails, water change, water change, water change and improving your fertilizers and keeping them on a regular schedule with a reduction of light gets it under control so it's not unbearable.
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests