Albino BNP breeding (journal)...new pics added!

The place for all discussions not loach-related concerning freshwater fish keeping. All our members keep other fish so you may benefit from their experience.

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

glenna

Re: Albino BNP breeding (journal)...new pics added!

Post by glenna » Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:15 pm

okay ,sorry.
I went back and reread the whole post. I am just surprised since I have read others claim such difficulty with plecos. I imagine you did a lot of research and worked hard to get those babies so far along the way. It sounds like it went amazingly well given a first breeding for that pair.
I guess I am also surprised that the babies did okay with zucchini.
anyway, thanks for sharing
glenna

glenna

Post by glenna » Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:15 pm

okay ,sorry.
I went back and reread the whole post. I am just surprised since I have read others claim such difficulty with plecos. I imagine you did a lot of research and worked hard to get those babies so far along the way. It sounds like it went amazingly well given a first breeding for that pair.
I guess I am also surprised that the babies did okay with zucchini.
anyway, thanks for sharing
glenna

Crissyloach

Post by Crissyloach » Sat Jun 11, 2011 9:29 am

Just the one pair. ;) There is a second male which actually had to be moved out of the tank because when they were spawning, he would be on the outside of the hole in the wood, just above the father. That ended in a fight which could have killed both of them. The pair that spawns stays together, and keeps spawning (unless of course something happens to one of them). I have them in my community tank, and once a month, I find daddy pleco in the "cave" preparing it for spawning. Once the eggs are laid, I move the eggs into a trap, or move him into a separate tank with the eggs, which is a lot better- all hatched, and none got fungus this recent time (when I moved him with the eggs). Last time when I hatched them myself in a trap a couple got fungus and did NOT hatch.

There is more than 60 new babies in the tank! That is almost more than the last 2 batches combined!

I feed Hikari first bites, baby brine shrimp (freshly hatched, not frozen), and blanched (until it is basically mush but still holds its shape) zucchini.

Unfortunately the babies from the first 2 batches (who were almost ready to go! :( ) got ich, and all but 1 died. He is being treated now. Haven't checked on him yet- but will post an update once I do.

Current betta count...Too many. :P

longtian006

Post by longtian006 » Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:38 am

Your first post didn't 'sit badly' with me, was just trying to share some information... :?