Collecting Trip

The place for all discussions not loach-related concerning freshwater fish keeping. All our members keep other fish so you may benefit from their experience.

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

starsplitter7

Collecting Trip

Post by starsplitter7 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 8:27 pm

On Saturday I got a note that my fish club was going on a collecting trip (Sunday morning) at the Hillsborough River than runs through the center of Tampa. I was there at 8:30 AM, a major feat for this not morning person and I had a lovely time.

We found native Swamp Darters, Blue Finned Killies, two other species of killies, mollies, Gambusia, 4 inch yellow/green shiners with a stripe and red nose, a perch, baby bass (1 inch and smaller), sunfish, a water bug, three species of snails, dragon fly larve, water scorpions, crawdads and ghost/grass shrimp by the thousands (I didn't know we had a native shrimp). I was absolutely astounded. Found all sorts of nifty things.

I have a friend who lives on the river, and I helped her rescue a Wood Duckling (earlier in the week) that was left behind in the nest when everyone else jumped. Incredibly cute.

piggy4

Re: Collecting Trip

Post by piggy4 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 1:00 pm

Hi Stars , sounds like a fun day :) there are some great fish in your country ,a heck of a lot that would make interesting pets :!:

Crissyloach

Post by Crissyloach » Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:50 pm

Cool! Sounds like fun!! :)

Current betta count...Too many. :P

kayjay

Post by kayjay » Wed Mar 23, 2011 4:22 pm

Amazing list of Finds! I wish I had a fish club to go collecting with! Or better yet, that I lived someplace where aquatic life is active this early in the year!! :)

Crissyloach

Post by Crissyloach » Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:28 pm

lol we might be able to find salmon- if we are lucky! Pretty rare right now.

Current betta count...Too many. :P

Jim Powers

Post by Jim Powers » Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:26 pm

I would love to do that some time!
We did this in a zoology class I took in college and found quite a few cool fish, but I haven't done it since.
As a kid, I kept Fundulus notatus, the Blackstripe topminnow, occasionally. Some day, I would like to keep some of the colorful local darters like orange throats and rainbows, and maybe some redbelly dace in a native river tank.

starsplitter7

Post by starsplitter7 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:36 pm

I actually have blue finned killies and darters, but I get them out of feeder tanks. Some of the killies we found are incredibly beautiful. I can't wait for the next trip. I didn't take anything home, because I don't have an empty quarantine tank and I didn't want to introduce anything to my tanks, but it was fun to look and learn.

We also found a perch. That fish was very pretty. An inch long.

andyroo

Post by andyroo » Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:14 am

I've said it before and I'll say it again- EVERY child should have immediate access to a butterfly net and a big mayonnaise jar at all times. These things should reside in the car boot and/or at the back door and come along on every outing.
And at the age of 12 they should get a snorkel, and it too should travel with them always. Curiosity must be nurtured or it will wither.
So it is written.
"I can eat 50 eggs !"

Jim Powers

Post by Jim Powers » Tue Apr 12, 2011 4:15 pm

I've said it before and I'll say it again- EVERY child should have immediate access to a butterfly net and a big mayonnaise jar at all times. These things should reside in the car boot and/or at the back door and come along on every outing.
And at the age of 12 they should get a snorkel, and it too should travel with them always. Curiosity must be nurtured or it will wither.
So it is written.
Very well said!!
I agree totally. I was one of those little kids that would try to catch every frog, toad, turtle, snake, lizard and minnow I came across.
I still like to do that to this day, sometimes to the embarrassment of friends and family. :lol:

palaeodave

Post by palaeodave » Thu Apr 14, 2011 6:32 pm

All that and no pictures?
"Science is a lot like sex. Sometimes something useful comes of it, but that’s not the reason we’re doing it" ー R Feynman

SgtMajWiggles

Post by SgtMajWiggles » Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:33 pm

Hear, hear!

starsplitter7

Post by starsplitter7 » Fri Apr 15, 2011 1:15 pm

I'm with you Jim. I catch everything I can get my hands on to look at it with wonder. :) Snakes and other reptiles are my favorite, followed by bugs (terrestrial and water) . . . and you at least have the advantage of being male. I am female and catch everything to the embarrassment of my family and friends, although at this point they know me well enough.

Now if you are asking why there are no collecting pictures, I was in the water catching stuff!

However, if you would like to see pictures of my first and second place winners in this month's bowl show, check our our newsletter. My fish that won first place for sucker catfish is a red lizard, and my Hoplo won 2nd place for non-suckers. I featured them in an article I wrote this month on catfish. Page 9 and 10.
http://tbas1.com/TBASpdf/TBASApr2011.pdf

NancyD

Post by NancyD » Tue Apr 19, 2011 5:41 pm

My old fish club used to have saltwater collecting trips but not fresh :cry: Sounds like lots of fun!

starsplitter7

Post by starsplitter7 » Tue Apr 19, 2011 6:31 pm

It is fun and a little exciting, since it is springtime and alligators are frisky. :) But they haven't been a problem. :)

I also go snorkling in saltwater and collect stuff in buckets to look at and then return to grassbeds. ust like to see what's there. In Florida Lion Fish are a major problem with introductions. So many animals do well when released here and it wreaks havok with the eco system.