Crossocheilus siamese and Synodontis catfish

The place for all discussions not loach-related concerning freshwater fish keeping. All our members keep other fish so you may benefit from their experience.

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

Barracuda518

Crossocheilus siamese and Synodontis catfish

Post by Barracuda518 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 5:47 pm

Anyone kept these two species together? If so, any problems?

Thanks for the help in advance.

Diana

Re: Crossocheilus siamese and Synodontis catfish

Post by Diana » Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:12 pm

I have had each one, but not in the same tank. Synodontis gets big enough to eat a young SAE, so make sure the SAE is pretty big and the Syno a young (small) fish to start with.
38 tanks, 2 ponds over 4000 liters of water to keep clean and fresh.

Happy fish keeping!

Barracuda518

Post by Barracuda518 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 7:21 pm

Diana wrote:I have had each one, but not in the same tank. Synodontis gets big enough to eat a young SAE, so make sure the SAE is pretty big and the Syno a young (small) fish to start with.
They are in with S. petricola which most are around the 2-2.5" mark, so I dont think them getting eaten is a problem..The SAE are all around the 2" mark. Do you see a problem with this? These are the only 2 species of fish in the tank....This is a temporary set-up so I can let the SAE grow...The tank is heavily planted...

Thanks for the reply.

Jason

splendid100

Post by splendid100 » Fri May 06, 2011 2:39 pm

I have not kept them together and I don't think I would. You say the fish you are thinking of combining are small at present but in my experience these fish grow very, very quickly. My synodontis species have reached adult size within 3-6 months of going into my tanks (i.e. grown from 2" fish to 7" fish at a rate of about 1" per month). Even before fully-grown these fish claim territories and drive rival fish out. All you would gain by putting juvenile fish together is a 3-6 month 'truce' period. After that you will very likely have to re-house one of them. Why not simplify your life and just set up two tanks or, if you only have room for one tank, then just choose to keep one or other species. In my experience the algae eater has the more 'frenetic' behaviour and can make even a big tank feel fully occupied just on its own. My synodontis are active throughout day/night but tend to swim around more languidly, keeping in touch with the substrate, bogwood, tank walls. The synodontis are active but more restful to look at. I would choose one or other depending on the other tank occupants and whether I wanted a languid, restful community or a fast-flowing, active community. Alternatively, if your tank is big enough then maybe you could consider setting it up as a species tank and maybe get breeding behaviours in one or other species. What you do is your choice, but I think you and the fish would be happier if these two were not tankmates. All the same it would be interesting to hear from someone who has successfully combined them. Good luck with whatever you decide to do!