Rainbow Question

The place for all discussions not loach-related concerning freshwater fish keeping. All our members keep other fish so you may benefit from their experience.

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

starsplitter7

Rainbow Question

Post by starsplitter7 » Tue May 10, 2011 1:06 pm

I have a loach tank and have been looking for good dithers for them. I have two Turqoise Rainbows (lost two -- can't find more), and 4 happy Giant Danios. Last night at my fish club meeting I picked up three Marcii Rainbows for a $1. I am hoping that these 9 fish will get along well. The Giant Danios and the Turqoise Rainbows get along well after the Giant Danios let the rainbows they are the boss. Will there be a problem with the Marcii Rainbows? They are all about the same size within about 1/2-1 inch. The Marciis are heavier bodied. The Giant Danios like to be the top of the heap, but don't hurt the other fish. What do you all think of this grouping? They are in a 55 gallons.

Diana

Re: Rainbow Question

Post by Diana » Wed May 11, 2011 9:02 pm

M. Marcii is a hybrid. I do not know about their behavior, just that hybrid Rainbows are not highly thought of by Rainbow fish enthusiasts.
38 tanks, 2 ponds over 4000 liters of water to keep clean and fresh.

Happy fish keeping!

starsplitter7

Post by starsplitter7 » Thu May 12, 2011 9:29 pm

I didn't know they were hybrids when I got them (and it isn't their fault :). I got them for $1 because no one else wanted them. They are pretty and behaving nicely, so they will work well in my tank. I just wanted someone to keep my Turquoise company.

They won't be breeding in my tank. Too many egg eaters.

I was amazed to see tha tonline they sell for $10 each.

ahmandi2

Post by ahmandi2 » Sun May 22, 2011 10:44 pm

Great buy on the rainbows! They are a pricey bunch of fish! Congratulations :). I hope they're all dithering well together.
"I'm not *THAT* kind of hunter"

starsplitter7

Post by starsplitter7 » Sun May 22, 2011 11:23 pm

They are lovely fish. The rainbows and the Giant Danios patrol the tank as a group and seem to enjoy themselves. The loaches are much happier. And the rainbows would have become dithers to cichlids, so I am sure they are much happier with me.