thermometer stopped working fish still dying

The place for all discussions not loach-related concerning freshwater fish keeping. All our members keep other fish so you may benefit from their experience.

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

arny

thermometer stopped working fish still dying

Post by arny » Sun May 29, 2011 5:18 am

last wednesday the thermometer in the tank stopped working and the temperature decreased from 24 - 21 degrees Celsius some fish died. wednesday night I brought a new thermometer and the water temp. is 24 but the fish I still strange in behaviour ( black shark hiding all day) and the loaches have rapid gill movements ( not gasping at the surface) the odd other fish has also died since the temp. has been back to normal. Is there anything I can do instead of just watching the fish die?

Diana

Re: thermometer stopped working fish still dying

Post by Diana » Sun May 29, 2011 11:29 am

The effects of being chilled may still be bothering the fish.

Just to be sure the water is as perfect as possible, I would do some extra water changes with as deep vacuuming as you can. This will remove any organic matter that might be triggering some stress.

Keep an eye on the fish. When the water got colder their metabolism slowed down. A number of things MAY happen:
Metabolism slowing... digestion slowing... constipation. Feed roughage like peas, Daphnia
Metabolism slowing... immune system slowing... infection.
Metabolism slowing... immune system slowing... parasites can gain a foothold more easily.

The bacteria and other organisms that cause disease and parasites also slow down when they get cold, but are still capable of getting onto or into the fish.

I would suspect a parasite in the gills or an infection in the fish that have been breathing too fast.
38 tanks, 2 ponds over 4000 liters of water to keep clean and fresh.

Happy fish keeping!