Is it ok to keep one weather loach in my freshwater aquarium

The place for all discussions not loach-related concerning freshwater fish keeping. All our members keep other fish so you may benefit from their experience.

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

maureensloach

Is it ok to keep one weather loach in my freshwater aquarium

Post by maureensloach » Thu Jul 07, 2011 7:45 pm

Is it alright to keep just one weather loach in my freshwater aquarium, as reading the article I noted that they said 2 or 3? My one is becoming a big boy/girl and is delightful to watch and am amazed at his antics prior to a weather change when he is indoors!! The mind boggles.

Actually I also noted that you should have a permit to sell and keep them. I know my Aquatic shop has a permit but never thought that the perchaser of a weather loach should also have a permit. Has anyone got one and can advise me what to do here, have never heard of an individual needing a permit. Many thanks, regards, Maureen

kayjay

Re: Is it ok to keep one weather loach in my freshwater aqua

Post by kayjay » Mon Aug 08, 2011 6:48 pm

Maureen
Sorry to be so slow in replying! Your weather loach will probably survive just fine alone, but will definitely be much happier with at least one or two companions. They do spend time alone, but my 3 also have spells in which all of them are racing around or piling up together, they're certainly not loners by choice!

As to permits, that would depend on where you live. Maybe your LFS could tell you more, or if you have a fishkeeper's group nearby you might ask them. Last resort, check online re. law codes! In my state, the sale of weather loaches was prohibited for a time, then someone convinced the lawmakers that they had confused Misgurnis Anguillicaudus (which wouldn't fare well in local waterways) with Misgurnis Fossillis (which really could survive in the wild in our climate). So the ban was lifted, but now it's just been brought back, I don't know the details as to why yet. But I do know that the same thing has happened in other places, unfortunately.

Good luck with your weather loach, I hope you can acquire more!

starsplitter7

Post by starsplitter7 » Fri Aug 12, 2011 8:32 am

I agree with the message above. Your fish will survive, but may not thrive. People can live their lives alone, but most would like to occasionally hang out with other people. That's the way I think about my Dojos. Mine are generally in a big dog pile all over each other. They eat together, swim together, sleep together, . . . They are lovely fish.

cashmart35

Post by cashmart35 » Tue Dec 13, 2011 9:32 am

The species Cobitis taenia is sometimes called "spotted weather loach"....this type of fish requires a lot of area for moving and digging as they become very active when they become adult. I think you should select your aquarium considering this condition.

best of luck with your weather loach.

ceiling fan parts
http://ceilingfansparts.net/