Keeping fish in a translucent tank.

The place for all discussions not loach-related concerning freshwater fish keeping. All our members keep other fish so you may benefit from their experience.

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

FishyLady

Keeping fish in a translucent tank.

Post by FishyLady » Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:21 pm

Hi everyone,
When I move house I shall be putting my remaining fish, tetras & corydoras into a large translucent plastic container. On arrival it would be most convenient for me if I could top up the water in this container, add filtration and heating and leave them in it for about 24hrs. This would give me a chance to position the tank before transferring them. I would obviously be able to view the fish from above but would the fish find it stressful in a translucent container as opposed to a clear one? I know this is a strange question but I just feel I need some opinions.
Thanks for any help you can offer,

Val
Better the chaos of creativity than the tidiness of idleness.

EmilyMarie85

Re: Keeping fish in a translucent tank.

Post by EmilyMarie85 » Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:57 pm

When I moved from Washington to Idaho, I moved my fish in translucent tubs. Some of them stayed in the tubs over night -- didn't have any problems at all. Actually, I was surprised how well it worked - I thought for sure the clown loaches would be all stressed out but they weren't, they didn't even grey out. In addition to heater & filtration I added an air stone just to be on the safe side - probably was not necessary though.

FishyLady

Post by FishyLady » Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:58 pm

Hi,
Thanks for that reply it gives you more confidence if it has worked for someone else. Did you put anything else in the tubs with the fish whilst they were travelling? like some plants, either real or artificial? just wondering if the cories would feel happier if they could hide under something. Also, how did you fit the heater on?

Val
Better the chaos of creativity than the tidiness of idleness.

EmilyMarie85

Post by EmilyMarie85 » Fri Jul 29, 2011 5:01 pm

I had the filter media in with them - and I floated all my live plants as foliage. I stuck the heaters to the bottoms of the tanks.