confessions and aspirations of a lazy fishkeeper

The place for all discussions not loach-related concerning freshwater fish keeping. All our members keep other fish so you may benefit from their experience.

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

starsplitter7

Re: confessions and aspirations of a lazy fishkeeper

Post by starsplitter7 » Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:56 am

Very nice and beautiful Striatas.

Alyssa

Post by Alyssa » Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:39 am

Just a note ... chlorine will evaporate, but chloramine will NOT. It is just as deadly (if not more so) than chlorine, and apparently more and more cities are moving towards adding that into their water treatment plans.

You *have* to either have a system that will strip that out (RO system or buy the water from a Glacier water machine that will remove both chlorine and chloramine) or use a chemical treatment.
Alyssa

monicalovefish

Post by monicalovefish » Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:38 pm

I have a python like device but I've recently switched to putting the water into a large trash can. That's what my aquarium store does. I use a pump (big one) attached to a hose to put the water into the tank. I fill it up, treat it with Seachem's Safe, then I wait an hour to start emptying my tank midway and I then pump the treated water into my tank. Storing the actual trashcan is a pain but it works. I bought a nice round one with a flat lid for about 25 bucks at BJ's. The water down here is unfortunately pretty bad so it's better to treat first or your fish suffer for it.

Fish Dork

Post by Fish Dork » Sat May 26, 2012 6:54 am

Ok, I finally found some otos after all this time. 7 of them are happily munching on zucchini in the quarantine tank. Now if I can find a few more Amano shrimp I will be in good shape. I tried to get some MTS established in the tank, but I just keep finding empty shells...

Unfortunately I fear when I go downstairs this morning, I may no longer have a male rainbowfish. Suddenly yesterday he looked quite awful. I've had them for 5 years, so I'm hoping it's just old age. Everyone else in the tank still looks good.