Club Cory Grow Out Contest

The place for all discussions not loach-related concerning freshwater fish keeping. All our members keep other fish so you may benefit from their experience.

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

starsplitter7

Club Cory Grow Out Contest

Post by starsplitter7 » Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:26 am

I had a great fish meeting last night at the Tampabay Aquarium Society. TBAS1.com

In May we received Pepper Cory fry to participate in a Grow Out contest. We had from May to September to grow out our cories. They started out at a tiny 1/2". I love cories. I brought my best in last night, even though he was significantly smaller than a friend's Cory. He is very pretty and has nice whiskers. He won first place, which absolutely shocked me -- all the cories were lovely. The prize is a hand made sculpture with three pepper cories on it. What a great prize! I will have to post a picture of it.

Last night was also the evening when we bring in loaches, sharks and eels for the bowl contest. I wanted to take in my Tiretrack, but she would have wrestled me to the ground. So I decided to bring in my 4 year old B. histrionica. He is so pretty and has combination numbers down his side. What a nice fish, good personality and attractive. I took my largest Clown loach. He is very nice about 4" with deep colors and very hearty. I took him simply because he is easy to catch. He sleeps in a floating tube and I picked up the tube and held him over a net. The finally fish was a S. pulchar that was in a log, and I caught him (along with 2 clowns, a yoyo and a striata). My personal favorite in looks is the pulchar. He's small but growing with very strong colors and a perky personality. Even at the show his perkiness was pretty evident.

My clown took first place, the pulchar took second place and the histrioncia took third. Goes to show I have no idea what people will like. There were only two other loaches and a Bala shark in the show. The Bala was beautiful. The albino dojo was lovely and large and the other clown had fantastic markings. I actually think any of the other three fish deserved to place in the contest.

To top off my evening there's a drawing for the people who entered the bowl show and I won a bag of algae wafers! How did they know there were many catfish at home eagerly awaiting algae wafers! Yum!

Crissyloach

Re: Club Cory Grow Out Contest

Post by Crissyloach » Tue Sep 13, 2011 3:09 pm

Congrats! That is awesome!

Would love to see some pics..! ;)

Current betta count...Too many. :P

starsplitter7

Re: Club Cory Grow Out Contest

Post by starsplitter7 » Tue Sep 13, 2011 4:08 pm

Thanks.

I couldn't resist posting my good news. :) I will try to post some pictures in the near future.