julidochromis dickfeldi how big do thay grow ???

The place for all discussions not loach-related concerning freshwater fish keeping. All our members keep other fish so you may benefit from their experience.

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

jordan

julidochromis dickfeldi how big do thay grow ???

Post by jordan » Wed Oct 19, 2011 5:01 pm

hi does anyone know how big julidochromis dickfeldi grow too and if thay could live in a 4ft tank ???

Craig_

Re: julidochromis dickfeldi how big do thay grow ???

Post by Craig_ » Wed Oct 19, 2011 10:34 pm

Julidochromis dickfeldi don't get very big, only about 3 inches or so, so you could consider this a dwarf cichlid.
http://www.gcca.net/fom/Julidochromis_dickfeldi.htm

jordan

Post by jordan » Thu Oct 20, 2011 6:39 am

Craig_ wrote:
Julidochromis dickfeldi don't get very big, only about 3 inches or so, so you could consider this a dwarf cichlid.
http://www.gcca.net/fom/Julidochromis_dickfeldi.htm
oh that brill i seen one the other day and there really attractive would look stuning in my tank but will have a read of your link and also read about there attitueds becouse i dont want to get one and then there really agressive with my other fish as my other fish lets say arnt really fighting fish lol! apart from the clown i would think he coulddo some nice work with his spikes if someone peed him off thanks craig

Griffin

Post by Griffin » Wed Nov 02, 2011 7:32 pm

They're one of the smaller Julis, which are small cichlids anyway. Any Juli species would be happy in a 4ft tank. I disagree that they're agressive - I've kept most of the species and always found them to be quite well behaved with other fish. J. dickfeldi is actually probably the most peaceful of all of them. They can be agressive towards their own kind when a pair is bonding and may kill off other rivals of their own kind, they may also defend a small territory around their spawning site, but I've never had a Julidochromis attack or harm another (non-Julidochromis) tank mate.

Here's a good article on the lovely J. regani, one of my all time favourite cichlids (and this info also applies to J. dickfeldi except that dickfeldi are a bit smaller and more tolerant of other dickfeldi):

http://redfishmagazine.com.au/articles/ ... mis_regani

Hope this info helps, Cheers, Jess

jordan

Post by jordan » Sat Nov 05, 2011 8:04 am

Griffin wrote:They're one of the smaller Julis, which are small cichlids anyway. Any Juli species would be happy in a 4ft tank. I disagree that they're agressive - I've kept most of the species and always found them to be quite well behaved with other fish. J. dickfeldi is actually probably the most peaceful of all of them. They can be agressive towards their own kind when a pair is bonding and may kill off other rivals of their own kind, they may also defend a small territory around their spawning site, but I've never had a Julidochromis attack or harm another (non-Julidochromis) tank mate.

Here's a good article on the lovely J. regani, one of my all time favourite cichlids (and this info also applies to J. dickfeldi except that dickfeldi are a bit smaller and more tolerant of other dickfeldi):

http://redfishmagazine.com.au/articles/ ... mis_regani

Hope this info helps, Cheers, Jess
thanks jess thats grate info i think if thay have enough hideing placers thay will be fine with other fish anyways as iv read that thay like to have somewhere that is theres to hide in im deffo goin to get one of theys maybe 2 i like to have two of every fish lol apart from schooling fish that kneed more than too haha