i have found a snail in my tank can someone help me ?

The place for all discussions not loach-related concerning freshwater fish keeping. All our members keep other fish so you may benefit from their experience.

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

jordan

i have found a snail in my tank can someone help me ?

Post by jordan » Sun Nov 13, 2011 11:39 am

i turned my tank light on today and there was a little snail in my tank but i havent buy one i got two powder blue gouramis a couple of days ago but it carnt of come with them could it ? it would have to be stuck to the fish or somthing i dont get it does anyone have a clue

Jim Powers

Re: i have found a snail in my tank can someone help me ?

Post by Jim Powers » Sun Nov 13, 2011 11:51 am

Have you bought any plants lately? Snails or snail eggs often come in on plants.

KittyKat

Post by KittyKat » Sun Nov 13, 2011 12:01 pm

The snail was most likely floating around in the water and when you netted out the fish to move them, you probably caught it as well. Unless you know that you regularly overfeed, you probably don't have anything to worry about because most snails will not breed out of control without spare food. I consider them to be part of the cleanup crew, and leave them in.

They could also have come in on plants if you've bought some recently.

Just thought I'd warn you (as I can only remember the size of your small tank) that T. trichopterus do grow large and require the space to reach their full potential adult size!
Kat
stock list | main display tank | 60 litre cycle log (ex- guide for beginners) | Flickr

jordan

Post by jordan » Sun Nov 13, 2011 12:48 pm

Jim Powers wrote:Have you bought any plants lately? Snails or snail eggs often come in on plants.
hi jim thanks for the reply i have got a jarva plant i think it is lol am some logwood/bogwood but iv had that in for a while now proberly 6 weeks if not more its not new inless there was a egg on it and it has only just hatched i dont know its not that big its about the size of a baby snail that you see on the garden its like a brown see throw color i was shocked when i saw it lol

jordan

Post by jordan » Sun Nov 13, 2011 12:58 pm

KittyKat wrote:The snail was most likely floating around in the water and when you netted out the fish to move them, you probably caught it as well. Unless you know that you regularly overfeed, you probably don't have anything to worry about because most snails will not breed out of control without spare food. I consider them to be part of the cleanup crew, and leave them in.

They could also have come in on plants if you've bought some recently.

Just thought I'd warn you (as I can only remember the size of your small tank) that T. trichopterus do grow large and require the space to reach their full potential adult size!
hi kitty thanks for your reply and i havent moved my fish yet as the tank im moveing them in i have a koi in there witch is being rehomed next week some times and no i dont over feed them i dont think lol i feed them little pinch twice a day and im not worryd it was just a shock really becouse i hadent seen it before and i hadent buy it lol i will leave it in there as long as its no harm to my fish and doesing over breed its nice to have something less fishy in there lol thanks kitty :) oh and my two gouramis are powder blue dwarf gourami iv had them before thay dont grow that big there fine in the tank lots of room but yes im still moveing them lol to my bigger tank as soon as my koi has gone :(

KittyKat

Post by KittyKat » Sun Nov 13, 2011 1:17 pm

Ah, dwarf gouramis! That's why all the common names are so confusing as they're often used for more than one species :-/ Dwarf gouramis (1m f or 2f) will be fine in a tank that size, although two males are likely to fight :)

Good luck with the move… and the clown loach(es?) are kinda likely to eat the snail anyway, so I don't think you have any reason to worry about overbreeding either!
Kat
stock list | main display tank | 60 litre cycle log (ex- guide for beginners) | Flickr

jordan

Post by jordan » Sun Nov 13, 2011 1:47 pm

KittyKat wrote:Ah, dwarf gouramis! That's why all the common names are so confusing as they're often used for more than one species :-/ Dwarf gouramis (1m f or 2f) will be fine in a tank that size, although two males are likely to fight :)

Good luck with the move… and the clown loach(es?) are kinda likely to eat the snail anyway, so I don't think you have any reason to worry about overbreeding either!
yep dawft ones lol sorry if i confused you haha and i know what you mean about the two males will fight when i use to keep fish agers agi before i had brake from then i had a few dwarf gouramis and most of them fighterd i just compleatly for got intill i buy them then i thought crap lol but at the momment there not fighting the more dominant one stays behind the plant with logwood/bogwood and comes out a few times a day specily for feeding but he sometimes follows the other one and nips is tail but nothing bad thay part after that really carnt wait to get this other tank set up when the koi have gone :( i love it when fish have got too mutch space lol so there more likey to not fight as thay will have there own placers in the bigger tank goin to get some plants and hideing placers dead exsiterd lol

jordan

Post by jordan » Sun Nov 13, 2011 1:53 pm

oh ad ya kitty forgot about clown loachs eat snails lol hope he doesnt eat that one i want at least one snail in there to help me clean lol dont think he could eat it anyways hes still small me wont him to grow lol

ClownLoachSharky

Post by ClownLoachSharky » Mon Nov 14, 2011 6:44 am

Nothin to worry clowns all sizes should eat snails
You wouldnt have that problem with a V8

starsplitter7

Post by starsplitter7 » Wed Nov 16, 2011 11:23 pm

I have a few thousand snails. THey let you know when the water quality starts to fail. They clean everything and they are convenient food for lots of fish. I also have snails for pets. I have alot of Nerites and I have some pretty assassins and lovely rabbit snails. Those guys cost me a fortune and they are amazing.

starsplitter7

Post by starsplitter7 » Wed Nov 16, 2011 11:23 pm

I have a few thousand snails. THey let you know when the water quality starts to fail. They clean everything and they are convenient food for lots of fish. I also have snails for pets. I have alot of Nerites and I have some pretty assassins and lovely rabbit snails. Those guys cost me a fortune and they are amazing.

jordan

Post by jordan » Sat Nov 19, 2011 3:45 pm

are rabbit snails costly then lol thay must be nice if thay are i dont think iv got the snail no more :( carnt see it bet my clown loach has eat it the little loach lol i started to like it tbh in there but like i say havent seen it for a bit it use to stay around my logwood what has a plant attached to it

starsplitter7

Post by starsplitter7 » Sat Nov 19, 2011 10:07 pm

I can't imagine having problems keeping a pond snail. In any case, I get snails at Petsmart. I wait til they are not busy and ask if they will scoop out some of the MTS, pond and ramshorn snails. They are usually happy to give them to me and get them out of my tanks. Get my loaches and my puffers.

You will turn around and have three hundred snails. :)

jordan

Post by jordan » Sun Nov 20, 2011 6:48 am

starsplitter7 wrote:I can't imagine having problems keeping a pond snail. In any case, I get snails at Petsmart. I wait til they are not busy and ask if they will scoop out some of the MTS, pond and ramshorn snails. They are usually happy to give them to me and get them out of my tanks. Get my loaches and my puffers.

You will turn around and have three hundred snails. :)
oh cool never thought about keeping snails tbh lol it was only intill i saw that little one in my tank one day that i got use to it and thought awww its kind of nice lol and dont say that lol i dont wont three hundred in me tank haha dont think my clown loach would let that happen like i say looks like he/she has eat that one he/she would have a field day if there was three hundred in there would think its his/her birthday lol lol

jordan

Post by jordan » Sun Nov 20, 2011 3:56 pm

starsplitter iv got 5 little snails in there now thats your fault lol