Marble Hatchet - Carnegiella strigata

The place for all discussions not loach-related concerning freshwater fish keeping. All our members keep other fish so you may benefit from their experience.

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

justice

Marble Hatchet - Carnegiella strigata

Post by justice » Fri Nov 18, 2011 10:23 am

I have a question, or more so an observation. I have 3 Marble Hatchets housed with 5 Yasuhikotakia modesta, 5 Ottos and 1 Pleco. I notice that 99.9% of the time the hatchets are at the top of the tank but for some reason I have noticed that one of the hatchets seems to be swimming to mid to lower sections of the tank. I'm not sure of the sexing of them, So I guess it could be possible that they are looking for spawning grounds. I am hoping it is not a illness, but they all look good in health. the one that is swimming towards the bottom does seem a bit larger but can't tell if it is bloated or pregnant. Has anyone else keep these guys and have noticed similar behavior?

Thanks

KittyKat

Re: Marble Hatchet - Carnegiella strigata

Post by KittyKat » Sat Nov 19, 2011 5:16 pm

Hatchets are schooling fish and are generally considered to be shy. Do you have floating plants? If not, I think that is partially the cause for the odd behaviour, with the other half being that they're not in a school. I consider 6 to be a minimum number for a schooling species, with 10-15 being a better minimum.
Kat
stock list | main display tank | 60 litre cycle log (ex- guide for beginners) | Flickr