Fish Tales

The place for all discussions not loach-related concerning freshwater fish keeping. All our members keep other fish so you may benefit from their experience.

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

starsplitter7

Fish Tales

Post by starsplitter7 » Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:35 am

Tonight was our bowl show with basically an open category. I brought in an Emporer Pleco that won first place for an egg layer, a ropefish and a Synodontis euruptus. I never get this right. I thought people would like my beautiful, healthy 12" ropefish. I put my male 10 inch SE in the bag and he immediately laid on his side in protest. Augh! When we got to the show he threatened to roll over, but then he sat up like he was supposed to. He actually barked at me when I put him back in the tank. The pleco is very pretty, but I didn't think she was spectacular. I never get it right.

I put a plastic bag of snails in my puffer tank. Didn't have time to take the snails out of the bag, so I left the bag in the tank while I went to my meeting. When I got home 4 puffers were in the bag: They were chanting e ne my nee mo, yummy! snails. I thought that was pretty funny seeing them in the bag looking out at me, and the snail pop. significantly reduced. So strange what fish do. Love my pea puffers and their little blue eyes.

Any stories on funny things your fish do?

ClownLoachSharky

Re: Fish Tales

Post by ClownLoachSharky » Tue Jan 10, 2012 1:14 am

well, when my rosy barbs are scabbing the hikari algae wafer the pearl hourami chases them far away and lets the corys and loaches enjoy the wafer. Its really funny because hes like a bouncer guarding the wafer and if a rosy cpmes close, it will chase it off. so the rosys only get wafers when the gouramis off duty in his little corner
You wouldnt have that problem with a V8

loachlover77

Post by loachlover77 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:56 pm

When Baby Girl, my biggest clown loach, was sick, I was in tears because I thought that I would lose her. One day I was crying and sitting next to the tank, she saw that I was upset so she held a plastic plant leaf with her fin, in the middle of the tank. She also bit the top of a plastic plant. She knows that the plants are plastic and not real. She wanted to make me laugh, which I did, because she didn't want to see me upset. I love clown loaches, they do funny things make a person smile.

starsplitter7

Post by starsplitter7 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:16 pm

Did Baby Girl do okay?

Both of your stories are great. It is funny how they make us laugh.

Any more stories?

There are pictures from our meeting on this link and picture 18 is my Emporer Pleco and 22 is my SE.
http://www.tbas1.com/TBASimages/TBAS_Ja ... index.html

loachlover77

Post by loachlover77 » Thu Jan 12, 2012 5:35 pm

Yep Baby Girl is completely recovered from the three illnesses she had. She is very happy and hanging out at the bottom of the tank now. Man I was scared of losing her, I am glad that I didn't lose her. Hopefully she will live a very long time with me. It feels so good when you pull a sick fish through any illness that they may have.

ClownLoachSharky

Post by ClownLoachSharky » Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:10 pm

yes, i got really freakd when i saw my favourite peppeerd cory aka white boy floating upsiide down at the top of the tqnk. i went to touch im and he swam off. :shock: :shock:

starsplitter7

Post by starsplitter7 » Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:47 pm

So glad Baby Girl made it through the illness.

I've had cories swim at the top when they want to eat floating food.

ClownLoachSharky

Post by ClownLoachSharky » Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:26 pm

no he wasnt eating, he was more relaxing upside down. also, added duckweed into my tank last night and was completely anhialated by endlers :shock:

starsplitter7

Post by starsplitter7 » Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:40 pm

Wish I could get my fish to eat duckweed. I also tried to feed it to my ducks and it was a no go.

ClownLoachSharky

Post by ClownLoachSharky » Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:11 am

problem is i wanna grow it

starsplitter7

Post by starsplitter7 » Fri Jan 13, 2012 8:01 am

Put it in a tank/bowl (and put it in the sun) by itself. I have it growing in all my tanks, plugging filters, blocking the light from all my other plants. Once it is started it is hard to stop.

ClownLoachSharky

Post by ClownLoachSharky » Fri Jan 13, 2012 8:36 am

i tried the tub on top of tank trick but it didnt grow :roll:

loachlover77

Post by loachlover77 » Fri Jan 13, 2012 8:46 pm

starsplitter7 wrote:So glad Baby Girl made it through the illness.

I've had cories swim at the top when they want to eat floating food.
So am I. I can actually relax and not worry about her. It was scary to see her at the top of the tank and swimming oddly and such. But I am so glad that she is all better and is acting like a clown. She regained her status of being the alpha loach in the tank.

I heard her click when she and Flash were fighting, it was pretty neat to hear them click. That was today!

ClownLoachSharky

Post by ClownLoachSharky » Sat Jan 14, 2012 7:52 am

my yoyos clik very loud when they get hikari algae wafers. its expensive stuff but the fish love it

starsplitter7

Post by starsplitter7 » Sat Jan 14, 2012 6:49 pm

I agree the hikari is expensive, but my fish love it. I buy it by the kilo, so that makes it a little more cost effective.