Is my tank too small?

The place for all discussions not loach-related concerning freshwater fish keeping. All our members keep other fish so you may benefit from their experience.

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

drmeg

Is my tank too small?

Post by drmeg » Tue Apr 17, 2012 5:20 pm

Hi there,

This is my first post on this forum, and I am very very VERY new to keeping freshwater fish! I bought a 60 litre aquarium recently and I have:
2 weather loaches
1 pleco
2 fantails
4 danios (very small)

I am worried that the tank is too small - opinions on this would be helpful! Are these creatures going to grow quite big? At the moment the loaches are about 4 inches long. I have read they can grow bigger than this - I imagine the tank will seem too small if they do.

Advice greatly appreciated, and meanwhile I'll keep reading the forum - you seem like a friendly bunch!

Thanks,
Meg

EmilyMarie85

Re: Is my tank too small?

Post by EmilyMarie85 » Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:04 pm

Yes - your tank is too small.

Diana

Post by Diana » Thu Apr 19, 2012 1:40 am

Is that Fantail Goldfish? Each one will need 20 gallons (80 liters) minimum.
Is that a common Pleco? There are different species sold as Commons, but the smallest can reach a foot long (30 cm). A fish this size needs at least 30 gallons (120 liters) just to dilute the waste. I have seen the Common Plecos returned to the fish store near me. So big you cannot hold them using both hands.
Dojo (Weather) Loaches also will outgrow your tank. They will very quickly double in size, and continue getting even bigger. I keep mine in a 4' long tank (1.2meters), 45 gallons (180 liters)

I am afraid the only fish suited to the tank you have are the Danios, and those only if they are the smaller Zebra, Leopard or similar sized Danios.
38 tanks, 2 ponds over 4000 liters of water to keep clean and fresh.

Happy fish keeping!

starsplitter7

Post by starsplitter7 » Fri Apr 20, 2012 1:40 pm

Just so you know almost every new fish keeper does the same thing. Mostly due to inexperienced staff at pet stores (or unscrupulous) and conflicting info everywhere. This is why most people go from one tank to 5 very quickly. :) I had a 1.5 gallon tank to start. Then a 5 gallon, then three 10s, and now a 75,55, 29 and 20 as well. :) I had a tiny bichir the size of my pinkie finger in the 5 gallon. Was told she was a flake eater. Wondered why my tiny danios kept disappearing. :) Now the bichir lives in the 75 with a few common plecos from my early years of fish keeping (and they are outgrowing the 75). Either find a couple experienced fish keepers with larger tanks to take your large fish, or get a few more tanks. :)

I learned everything I know about keeping fish from this forum thanks to incredible patience of Diana, Jim, Emma, Graeme, and many others. I would have stopped keeping fish without their help and advice.

glenna

Post by glenna » Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:04 am

I agree completely with Starsplitter. I started with a 29 gallon and was sold a clown loach since it "wouldn't get very big". Then, I found this site and started reading. There is so much bad information out there, and I really think a lot of the people who work at pet stores simply do not KNOW very much.
I want to add another "thank you" for this forum, and for the experienced and very patient people who help those of us with less experience.
I KNOW I would not have continued with this hobby if it were not for LOL. I now have nine tanks (from 12g to 125g). I'm thinking about adding on a fish room!!
glenna